This sweet banana nut bread with walnuts can be made for breakfast or dessert. Wonderful alone or warm with melted butter.
If you have been around the blog for long you know that my kids are nuts for bananas. My middle son, in particular, asks me at least once a week for banana muffins or banana bread. I love baking for them so I usually oblige but I do like to play with my recipes a little each time and try different variations. This Walnut Banana Bread was the latest incarnation and it's delicious! It will definitely be permanent in our banana baking rotation from here on out.
This recipe is different from my go-to banana bread recipe in that it uses vegetable oil instead of melted butter. It's also a little sweeter but I think that's balanced out by the walnuts so it's not overly sweet.Print
This sweet banana bread with walnuts can be made for breakfast or dessert. Wonderful alone or warm with melted butter.
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl mash bananas with a fork. Add sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla and mix until blended.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Add dry mixture to the wet and stir until just combined, do not overmix.
- Fold in walnuts and pour into prepared pan. Tap pan to let batter settle evenly.
- Bake for 1 hour 5 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. let cool on rack 10 minutes before removing from pan. Can be served warm or cool.
- Bread slices better when cool but tastes delicious still warm from the oven even if it crumbles!
Keywords: walnut banana bread
What is your favorite version of banana bread? Let me know below so I can try it!
Here are some others of our banana favorites: