Fast, easy, and delicious, this easy Instant Pot Beef Stew cooks up in just an hour and tastes like its been simmering slowly all day long! It is the perfect easy pressure cooker recipe and comfort food for chilly winter evenings!
Hi friends! We hit the upper 40s this week and in South Georgia, that means everyone is freezing and talking about it being winter! My husband (who is from Michigan) thinks this is hilarious, but we Southerners are cold anytime it’s below 70! Anyways, the crisp weather has me craving comfort foods, and this easy Instant Pot Beef Stew is just that.
Why I love this recipe
- I can make this stew in just an hour and it tastes like it has been simmering all day in a crockpot! It’s the perfect easy beef stew recipe for those busy nights I’m running kids around to various sports and clubs.
- This is also a GREAT beginner Instant Pot recipe, just read the comments at the bottom of the post to see how many new Instant Pot owners are having great results with this recipe.
- It’s the perfect comfort food!
(If you’re new to the Instant Pot, check out my Instant Pot 101 post to learn all about how to start pressure cooking!)
- beef stew meat
- beef broth
- potatoes, onion, & carrots
- soy sauce & Worcestershire sauce
- tomato paste
- salt and pepper
Step by step with video
- Start with sauté mode to brown the meat and then add the beef broth. When you pour in the broth, stir around the bottom to deglaze the bottom of the pan and release all those flavorful bits into the broth for the best taste.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir, then pressure cook on stew mode for 35 minutes.
- Once you lock the lid of the Instant Pot and set the timer you’re good to go to forget about this cooking until you are ready to eat.
- Let the pressure release naturally over the 30-40 minutes after cooking for the best results.
- Don’t skimp when browning the meat, you want to brown all side and really lock the flavor into the stew meat.
- If you’re not ready to eat it after the pressure releases the Instant Pot will keep the beef stew warm automatically until you are ready. I like to set up this recipe around the time my kids are coming home from school so its ready once we are finished with evening sports.
- It’s also a great recipe if you have a busy evening where different people are eating at different times, as it will taste just as good at 5 as it will at 6:30 (which often happens when my husband and I have to tag team to get the kids to different activities and our evening schedules don’t overlap!) Just keep it on Warm mode in the Instant Pot with the lid on until you’re ready to eat.
Most grocery stores carry pre-cut stew meat but you can also use chuck roast, boneless short ribs, or brisket cut into 1-2 inch pieces.
Allow stew to cool before storing in the fridge. (Never let it sit out more than 2 hours at room temperature though for food safety.) Keep leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to 4 days. If you want to keep it longer freeze it.
Store stew in airtight containers, leaving at least 1 inch of space to allow it to expand in the freezer. Stew can be kept frozen for up to 3 months. To thaw, place in the refrigerator overnight.
If you want to add more veggies to the stew, , some great options are mushrooms, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and eggplant. Be sure to cut into larger pieces so they don’t get overcooked.
If I have time I like to pair it with some corn muffins, pretzel bread, beer bread, homemade biscuits, or this yummy cornbread I shared with you recently. My husband likes it served over mashed potatoes as well. (He’s a potato guy!) Any way you serve it, you’ll love coming home to this delicious beef stew at the end of the day.
I hope you enjoy this warm Instant Pot Beef Stew. For more easy comfort food recipes, check out these blog posts:
- Bacon Cheddar Quiche
- Slow Cooker Ham, Bacon, & Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- Buttery Instant Pot Lemon Chicken
- 21 Healthy Instant Pot Recipes
If you’ve tried this easy Instant Pot Beef Stew recipe please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Fast, easy, and delicious, this Instant Pot beef stew cooks up in just an hour and tastes like its been simmering slowly all day long! Its the perfect comfort food for chilly winter evenings!
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1–2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups beef broth or beef stock
- 5 large red potatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop vegetables into 1 – 1 ½ inch pieces, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine stew meat and flour and stir to coat.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute setting and add butter. When butter is melted and sizzling, add meat. Brown on all sides stirring only enough to prevent burning.
- Pour in beef broth and scrape the bottom of the bowl to deglaze.
- Add potatoes, onion, carrots, garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire, and tomato paste. Stir until uniform.
- Lock the lid of the Instant Pot and set to Stew mode for 35 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally after the cooking time is ended, about another 30 minutes.
- Carefully move open steam valve and release the lid. Salt to taste.
- use pre-cut stew meat or chuck roast, boneless short ribs or brisket
- cut vegetables into thicker pieces so they dont get mushy
Keywords: beef stew
This recipe was originally shared in October 2018 and updated in January 2020.