Adding pumpkin to this fast and easy apple butter makes this Pumpkin Apple Butter even more delicious and a fall favorite!
You know it's September so it's all about apples and pumpkins around here and what better than combining the two? I am an apple butter girl-I prefer it over jam or jelly any day. I got to thinking when making my Pumpkin Pie Dip the other day that I should try to add some pumpkin to my favorite apple butter recipe.
I don't do the crockpot method of apple butter making that I see all over Pinterest-I'm the impatient sort when it comes to getting my apple butter fix-I make mine in less than an hour and I promise it's every bit as delectable as long-cooking versions. Add pumpkin to the mix and this is a fall favorite!
- pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- apple juice
- brown sugar
Step by step
It is so easy to make this pumpkin apple butter on the stovetop. Simply combine the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. After allowing to cool for 15 minutes, pour into a food processor and blend until smooth. It's that easy!
I like to eat this pumpkin apple butter on toast, biscuits, rolls, or cinnamon chips. It's also great stirred into oatmeal, as a topping for waffles or pancakes, or anywhere you want to add a little sweet autumn flavor!
Yes! Cook ingredients in a slow cooker on high for 8 hours, then reduce heat to low for an additional 4 hours.
To make this recipe in the Instant Pot, cook on high pressure for 20 minutes and allow a natural release.
You can use your favorites but I prefer softer apples like Fuji, Golden Delicious, or McIntosh. You can also mix and match.
Tips for best results
- You can blend the pumpkin apple butter with a food processor, immersion blender, or even a regular blender
- If you plan on freezing the apple butter be sure to use freezer-safe jars and leave ½ inch of space to allow for expansion (see this guide to jar selection)
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Adding pumpkin to this fast and easy apple butter makes it even more delicious and a fall favorite!
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 cup apple juice
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Allow mixture to cool 15 minutes.
- Place mixture in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve immediate or refrigerate until use.
- Eat within one week.
Keywords: pumpkin apple butter