This 30 minute creamy Tortellini Soup with spinach and Italian Sausage is the ultimate comfort food and the perfect one pot meal for chilly days.
I’m a soup girl, I just love it. I have soup for lunch almost every day so I am constantly trying new recipes or remaking old favorites, like this flavorful creamy tortellini soup with Italian sausage and spinach.
Why I love this recipe
- it’s a one pot meal ready in just 30 minutes
- with pasta and spinach, it’s a complete meal on its own
- it is easy to customize to suit your family’s tastes
I love that this recipe doesn’t require anything “fancy” but still packs in the flavor!
Step by step
- Brown the sausage in the bottom of a large stockpot along with diced onion. Add garlic once meat is browned and cook for a minute before adding broth. You can customize the flavor of your soup by using mild or spicy sausage.
- Make the soup by adding the broth and deglazing the bottom of the pot to get all those flavorful bits! Add the tomato paste, salt, and garlic and stir to blend. Simmer the soup for 15 minutes.
- Finish it off adding the tortellini, spinach, and heavy cream. Cook for 4 minutes or until spinach is wilted and tortellini is done.
- Serve with parmesan cheese. It’s also delicious with some nice crusty bread!
Tips for best results
This recipe is pretty straight forward and hard to mess up!
- Do not skip the deglazing step, those brown bits at the bottom of the pot after cooking the sausage add a ton of flavor to the soup base.
- Don’t over cook the tortellini, it only takes a few moments. It is the same for the spinach, it cooks quickly so add it just before serving.
- Add the heavy cream slowly while stirring to avoid curdling.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. *Tortellini will be softer than served fresh but still tastes delicious!
You can freeze this soup without the tortellini. Store in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and cook on the stovetop, adding the tortellini just before serving and cooking 4 minutes afterward.
The sausage adds a lot of flavor to the soup but you could certainly make this with ground beef, ground pork, shredded or ground chicken, or leave the meat out all together. If you skip the sausage I recommend adding Italian seasoning to taste for additional flavor.
It is fine to leave out the spinach.
Yes, you will need to adjust the cooking time according to the package directions.
I do not recommend using frozen spinach for this recipe as it tends to turn out mushy in the soup.
- top with parmesan and serve with crusty bread for dipping
- along with a salad
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
This 30 minute creamy Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup with spinach is the ultimate comfort food, it is the perfect one pot meal for chilly days.
- 1 lb Italian ground sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 20 ounce bag refrigerated tortellini
- 10 ounce bag fresh spinach
- parmesan cheese for serving, optional
- In a large stockpot, add sausage and onion and cook over medium-high heat until sausage is browned and onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add broth to the pot and stir to deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Add tomato paste and salt and stir. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream, then add tortellini and spinach.
- Cook 4 minutes then remove from heat.
- Serve immediately, topped with parmesan cheese if desired.