This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Chocolate chip banana bread is a sweet quick bread that’s perfect for using up those extra bananas you have- whips up quickly in one bowl and no mixer required! Like these chocolate chip banana bars, banana “ice cream”, and banana bread breakfast smoothie, this is a great recipe to keep on hand for over ripe bananas!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
I made this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe for my husband and three boys recently (a treat over our usual favorite banana bread) and realized I had never shared this variation on the blog. We can’t have you missing out on this tasty treat so here you go!
Why I love this recipe
I love this recipe because it’s so fast and easy to make. The chocolate chips and banana flavors are perfectly sweet for satisfying your sweet tooth!
You don’t even need a mixer and there is no need to combine the wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately…just throw everything in one bowl, mix it up by hand and pop it in a pan to bake for an hour.
It also makes the house smell delicious while it’s in the oven.
- unsalted butter
- white sugar
- vanilla extract
- baking soda
- all-purpose flour
- milk chocolate chips
Step by step
- Preheat oven and spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl mash ripe bananas with a potato masher or fork.
- Mix melted butter into the mashed bananas until blended.
- Add in the sugar, egg, and vanilla to the banana mixture and whisk to mix.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and stir until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips and pour batter into your prepared pan.
- Bake one hour or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack ten minutes before removing from the pan, enjoy!
I like to eat my bread warm with a little butter but it’s amazing cooled and plain as well. Try it both ways and let me know what you like better!
Variations & add-ins
- add chopped walnuts or pecans
- substitute mini chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips
- sprinkle the top with cinnamon or brown sugar
Keep wrapped tightly in plastic wrap at room temperature up to four days.
Yes! Just like regular banana bread, chocolate chip banana bread freezes beautifully.
To freeze, allow the bread to cool completely then Wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. Place wrapped bread in a freezer bag and seal with all air pushed out. Alternatively you can wrap the plastic-wrapped loaf with foil as well.
You can also freeze individual portions. Lay each slice of banana bread on a baking sheet for 2-3 hours to freeze, then transfer to a freezer bag. Thaw individual pieces easily on the counter at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
The bread will last up to three months in the freezer. To thaw simply allow to come to room temperature on your counter.
Here are a few more Banana Bread Recipes you might like:
- Banana Muffins with Crumble Topping
- Amish Friendship Bread
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Swirl Bread
- Strawberry Banana Bread with Vanilla Glaze
- Crumble Topped Banana Bread
If you’ve tried this recipe please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Adapted from Simply Recipes.
Want more great recipes?
Join our community of over 20,000 everyday cooks and I'll send you an eCookbook with 13 of my favorite desserts as a welcome gift!