Homemade chicken noodle soup is easy to make from scratch in a fraction of the time with this easy instant pot recipe. This soup loaded with tender chicken and noodles is the perfect comfort food for chilly winter evenings!
I'm a soup girl year-round but come chilly weather it's on the menu almost daily. Like my Instant Pot Beef Stew, homemade bone broth, or Japanese Clear Soup, I love to whip up a big batch of comforting soup over the weekend and serve it out over the course of the week. This Instant Pot Chicken Soup recipe is one of my favorite soup recipes because it is an easy recipe packed with classic flavors and cooks up quickly thanks to pressure cooking!
Why I love this recipe
- making the soup with a whole chicken gives it a rich flavor
- resh herbs and fresh vegetables also add depth to the soup's flavor
- lots of noodles! the more, the better!
- it cooks up in less than an hour but tastes like it's been simmering all-day
- whole chicken
- olive oil
- fresh thyme
- fresh oregano
- bay leaf
- chicken broth
- egg noodles
- kosher salt & black pepper
Step by step
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté mode and add the olive oil. Sauté chopped onion and carrots for 5 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Add garlic, ginger, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the whole chicken and chicken broth. Lock the lid and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Do a natural release of the pressure for at least 10 minutes.
- Carefully vent any remaining pressure using the quick pressure release valve and remove the lid of the Instant Pot. Use a pair of tongs or a slotted spoon to remove chicken and bones to a large bowl.
- Set the Instant Pot to the sauté function again to bring the soup to a boil. Add egg noodles and cook for 5 minutes or until done.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin and bone from the chicken and discard. Shred the chicken meat with two forks into bite-sized pieces. Add the shredded meat back to the pressure cooker and stir. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if desired.
Tips for best results
- be sure to season to taste before serving with salt and pepper
- depending on the size of your chicken you may need to cut it into smaller pieces to fit it in the Instant Pot
- garnish with parsley if desired
- serve with Homemade Texas Toast or Homemade Garlic Bread to round out the meal
- Substitute rotisserie chicken, chicken breast meat, chicken thighs, or other dark meat for the whole chicken
- Add parsley or rosemary to the herbs
- Add in chopped celery with the other vegetables
- Squeeze in a hint of lemon juice before serving
- Use chicken stock instead of chicken broth
- Substitute rice or orzo for the egg noodles
Yes! You will need to extend the cooking time by ten minutes if you are using a whole frozen chicken. If using frozen chicken breasts, the same cooking time will be fine.
Yes you can add canned chicken to this soup instead of whole chicken. Be sure to salt and pepper the soup before serving as canned chicken may be more bland.
This is an excellent soup for freezing. Allow soup to cool slightly then store in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave or stovetop.
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Homemade chicken noodle soup is easy to make from scratch in a fraction of the time with this easy instant pot recipe. This soup loaded with chicken and noodles is the perfect comfort food for chilly winter evenings!
- whole 3 pound raw chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 carrots, cut into ¼ inch rounds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inch piece of ginger, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 6 ounces egg noodles (half of a 12 ounce bag)
- kosher salt & black pepper
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode. Add olive oil. Once olive oil is hot add onion, carrots, garlic, thyme, oregano, 2 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Add chicken, ginger, and broth. Stop saute mode. Shut the Instant Pot lid and valve and set to high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then carefully quick release any remaining pressure. Remove lid and use tongs to remove chicken to a large bowl and discard ginger and herb sprigs.
- Switch the Instant Pot to saute mode and bring to a boil. Add noodles and boil for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile remove bones and skin from chicken then use two forks to shred the meat.
- Add chicken back to soup once noodles are cooked and season to taste with additional salt and pepper before serving.
adapted from Food Network
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 6.7 g
- Sodium: 1395.4 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.9 g
- Protein: 55.6 g
- Cholesterol: 180.3 mg
Keywords: instant pot chicken noodle soup