Simple Baked Apples with Oatmeal are the perfect autumn dessert recipe-apples topped with a fruit and nut-filled oatmeal crisp topping, perfect alone or with ice cream!
Can you ever get enough of apple recipes? I think not! I’m always looking for new ways to make apples treats for my family.
Like bananas, apples are generally so affordable and so versatile I always have them on hand. When I realize that I may have bought too many and they aren’t going to all get eaten raw before going bad I turn to my stash of apple recipes and get to baking!
These Baked Apples are so easy even my six year old can help prep them, and the taste is just delicious!
Why I Love These Simple Baked Apples
One of my favorite things about this recipe is how easy it is to customize to your own taste. Don’t like almonds? Leave them out, or substitute your own favorite nut. Nut allergy? Leave them out altogether! The delicious base of the oatmeal crisp allows you to add as much or as little extra flavor as you prefer.
Baked Apples Ingredients
- old fashioned oats
- brown sugar
- baking soda
- unsalted butter
- slivered almonds
- chopped walnuts
- dried cranberries
- vanilla extract
What Are the Best Apples for Baked Apples?
And while I use gala apples you can also customize with your favorite apple variety. I prefer this recipe with sweet apples like Honeycrisp over more tart varieties like Granny Smith.
And if you like apple recipes you might also like these:
- French Apple Cake
- Cinnamon Apple Bread
- Apple Pie Roll Ups
- Cinnamon Apple Cake
- Cinnamon Apple Cake with Crackle Glaze from Shaken Together
Easy Baked Apples are the perfect autumn dessert recipe-apples topped with a fruit and nut-filled oatmeal crisp topping, perfect alone or with ice cream!
- 5 gala apples, cut in half and cored
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup melted unsalted butter
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Carve a tablespoon out of the center of the apple and discard it.
- Flip the apple over and cut a small amount to create a flat surface.
- In a medium bowl, add the remaining ingredients and mix it all together.
- Add three tablespoons of oatmeal mixture to the cavity and top of the apples.
- Place apples into a pan. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake apples for 25 minutes, then uncover for an additional 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Top with caramel sauce and ice cream, if desired.
Keywords: easy baked apples