Homemade Garlic Bread is the perfect side for any number of meals, from Instant Pot Spaghetti, 5 Cheese Ziti al Forno, to White Chicken Chili. Once you learn how to make garlic bread in just 15 minutes, you'll never eat store-bought again!
Garlic Bread is a BIG hit at our house, no matter what meal it is served with (just like our homemade Texas Toast!) I used to buy garlic bread in the store but once I started making my own I'll never go back. I love that I can customize it to my taste, making sure that yummy garlic butter goes all the way to the edge and sometimes adding cheese. I promise you're going to love this easy garlic bread recipe!
How to Make Garlic Bread
- Mix softened butter with garlic and parsley to make garlic butter.
- Cut a loaf of French bread or a baguette in half lengthwise using a serrated knife.
- Spread the garlic butter generously over the bread.
- Bake until toasted to perfection! (If you prefer a soft garlic bread rather than toasted and crispy, simply place the two halves of bread back together after spread on the butter and wrap in foil. before baking.)
What Kind of Bread to Use for Garlic Bread
A hearty bread like French bread or a baguette is ideal for making garlic bread because the thickness can soak in all that delicious garlic sporead, but you can make it with anything you have on hand. Sandwich bread, hamburger or hotdog buns, it will all turn out delicious!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! I like to sprinkle on a little Parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese on top of the garlic butter before baking.
Yes! It's fun to switch out the parsley with other herbs like rosemary or oregano.
Yes, substitute the minced garlic with a ½ teaspoon of garlic powder in this recipe if you don't have cloves on hand.
Yes! This is a great recipe to make ahead and/or freeze. Simply make your garlic butter, slice the bread and spread it, then place the two halves back together and wrap tightly in foil, then plastic wrap, and freeze.
When ready to cook, allow the bread to thaw and then bake as normal. You may need to extend the baking time to 15 minutes if it is cold when you place it in the oven.
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
- 1 loaf French bread or baguette
- 1 stick of butter (½ cup), softened
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Mix softened butter, garlic, and parsley until blended. Set aside.
- Use a serrated bread knife to cut the French bread in half lengthwise.
- Spread the garlic butter liberally over the French bread.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until desired toasting is achieved.
- For softer garlic bread, place the two halves back together after spreading the butter and wrap in foil before baking.
- To freeze homemade garlic bread, place the two halves back together after spreading the butter and wrap in foil, then plastic wrap and place in freezer. To bake allow to thaw and then bake 10-15 minutes or until toasted.
- Change this recipe by swapping out the parsley for rosemary or oregano, or swapping the Parmesan for mozzarella cheese.
Keywords: homemade garlic bread