Sweet, gooey Cinnamon Sugar Pull Apart bread flavored with cinnamon and sugar is like a cinnamon roll in a loaf! Perfect for breakfast, dessert, or coffee! Pair it with a Praline Latte and start your day off perfectly!
Cinnamon Pull Apart Bread is very similar to a tasty cinnamon roll or this Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake. It's basically making cinnamon monkey bread without a bundt pan.
This bread does have a bit of a time investment due to the the rising of the dough in multiple stages, but the recipes are simple enough and it's pretty fail-safe. The yeasty dough is coated with butter and a cinnamon sugar mixture then baked to perfection.
The top of the loaf comes out with a slight crisp while the bottom and interior is soft and coated with the most amazing syrupy flavor.
- active dry yeast
- granulated sugar
- all-purpose flour
- unsalted butter
While you have the yeast out, whip up a batch of starter for our Homemade Amish Friendship Bread as well!
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water and allow to sit until frothy.
- In a stand mixer (affiliate link) whisk together flour, sugar, and salt then add melted butter, milk, yeast mixture, molasses, and eggs while mixing on low speed with a dough hook.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and place in a greased bowl. Cover loosely and allow to rise for one hour.
- Punch the dough to deflate it and knead in an additional 2 tablespoons of flour. Cover for 10 minutes while you grease a 9 inch loaf pan and mix up the cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg topping.
- Roll the dough out on a silicone mat or floured surface as thin as you can. Brush melted butter over the dough and sprinkle the top generously with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into 2 inch strips, then cut again to form 2 inch squares.
- Arrange stacks of dough on their side in the bread pan. Cover and allow to rise one last time for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Make monkey bread with this recipe by rolling the dough into balls then dip into the melted butter and roll into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake up in a bundt pan. (See my full cinnamon monkey bread recipe here or try this honey walnut monkey bread for a slightly different take.)
- Bake these in a muffin tin for single-serving size.
Yes, this recipe freezes very well. After the bread has cooled wrap tightly and store in the freezer up to 3 months. Thaw overnight at room temperature and warm in the microwave to serve.
Store wrapped in plastic wrap up to 3 days at room temperature or 5 days in the refrigerator.
To make this dough ahead of time, you can stop after the first rise and refrigerate the dough up to 24 hours. Let the dough sit at room temperature 30 minutes before proceeding with the recipe.
I prefer to simply microwave this bread to reheat it. The time will depend on how much bread you are reheating, start at 30 seconds and add additional time as needed.
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Cinnamon Sugar Pull Apart Bread
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 35 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Sweet, gooey Cinnamon Sugar Pull Apart bread flavored with cinnamon and sugar is like a cinnamon roll in a loaf! Perfect for breakfast, dessert, or coffee!
- 2 ¼ tsp active yeast (1 packet)
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- pinch granulated sugar
- 3 cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup melted butter (4 tbsp)
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ⅓ cup melted butter (4 tbsp)
- In a small bowl combine warm water, pinch of sugar and yeast. Set aside until frothy.
- In a large stand mixer (affiliate link) bowl combine flour, ¼ cup sugar and salt.
- Stir to mix.
- Add ⅓ cup melted butter, milk, yeast mixture, molasses and eggs one at a time while mixing at low speed.
- Remove dough from mixer to a greased bowl-dough will be very sticky.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Dough will double in size, punch dough to deflate and knead in an additional 2 tablespoon of flour.
- Cover for an additional 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile grease and flour a 9" bread pan and mix 1 cup sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough out as thin as you can without it breaking.
- Brush melted butter over the entire surface and thoroughly coat with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into 2" strips.
- Stack strips and cut again to form 2" squares.
- Arrange dough in bread pan by laying stacks of dough on it's side.
- Cover and allow to rise an additional 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake bread for 30-35 minutes until a deep golden brown (this ensures the bread is cooked thoroughly on the inside.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes.
- To remove, loosen bread by running butter knife around the edges first.
- Serve immediately, store in an airtight container up to 3 days.
Keywords: cinnamon pull apart bread
Please let me know what you think if you try it!
This turned out great, I had never made a bread with yeast before. Thank you!