It's easy to make Southern succotash in a slow cooker! This classic summer vegetable dish features lima beans, corn, and tomatoes. It can be prepped in under ten minutes and ready to eat in as little as 4 hours!
Before I even start on this Slowcooker Succotash recipe I have to tell you-succotash is h-a-r-d to photograph! There are certain meals or dishes I make to share on the blog that are almost impossible to capture in an attractive manner and this was definitely one of those!
Despite the photo challenges I love this recipe SO much! I grew up eating succotash-it's one of my favorite veggie side dishes. This version is made even better because it's made in the slow cooker-allowing the vegetables and flavors to combine perfectly and making prep much easier!
What is Succotash?
According to the Buckhorn Inn in Tennessee:
...the word “succotash” is derived from the Narragansett Indian word msickquatash meaning boiled corn kernels...this simple and delicious dish featuring corn, beans and other vegetables is a nourishing dish of Native American origin.Buckhorn Inn
- diced tomatoes
- lima beans
- green onion
- chicken broth
- salt & pepper
Can you use frozen vegetables?
You can most definitely use fresh or frozen vegetables for this Crock Pot Succotash. If you are using fresh I recommend plum or cherry tomatoes, about ten, peeled and diced. If fresh tomatoes aren't available a can of diced tomatoes will work just fine.
Step by step
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and stir to mix.
- Cook on high 7-9 hours or low 3 ½-4 ½ hours.
It's really that easy when you use the slow cooker!
Variations and add ins
- add cooked and crumbled bacon
- cook with a ham hock added in for added flavor, remove before serving
- add diced sweet Vidalia onion
- add in okra, other shelled beans, or diced bell pepper
It's easy to make succotash in a slow cooker! This classic Southern summer vegetable dish features lima beans, corn, and tomatoes. It can be prepped in under ten minutes and ready to eat in as little as 4 hours!
28 oz can diced tomatoes undrained (or 10 peeled and diced plum tomatoes)
16 oz fresh frozen lima beans
16 oz fresh or frozen corn
½ cup sliced green onion
½ cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and stir.
- Cook for 7-9 hours on low or 3.5-4.5 hours on high.
- Make this Succotash a main dish by serving it over hot buttered cornbread!
- While fresh is best, this recipe is perfect with frozen corn and beans as well.
Keywords: succotash, slow cooker succotash, crock pot succotashh