Homemade Chicken Pot Pie is easier than you think to make. With these tips and shortcuts, you can have your own on the table in just about an hour!
Chicken Pot Pie
Chilly weather calls for comfort food and it doesn’t get much more comforting than homemade Chicken Pot Pie, am I right? There just something about cracking into that buttery, crisp crust and having all that warm filling steam up that just makes you want to smile.
I used to think it would be hard to make Chicken Pot Pie at home but I was wrong. With a few little shortcuts you can have this yummy pot pie ready in about an hour!
Shortcuts for Making Chicken Pot Pie at Home
There are a few shortcuts I use when I’m making homemade Chicken Pot Pie that make it easy and fast, you can use my shortcuts or adjust the recipe to fit your needs.
Use the Instant Pot if Possible
If you don’t have an Instant Pot you can easily cook your chicken breast in the slow cooker as I shared in this blog post on easy shredded chicken. You can also purchase a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and remove the meat from the bones and use that and just hop in the recipe at the next step. Do what’s easiest for you!
Use Frozen Vegetables
I use frozen mixed veggies in my Chicken Pot Pie. It saves me tons of time chopping and prepping veggies. I also buy pre-minced garlic to keep in the fridge to save time.
Use Premade Pie Crusts
I use premade pie crusts to make this 99% of the time. I’m a huge fan of homemade pie crusts as I’ve shared before, but I’m usually making Chicken Pot Pie on a weeknight and there is no way I’m rolling out dough in between afterschool clubs and soccer practice!
Premade makes it super simple and the egg wash will make it seem like homemade. I use the rolled pie crusts that come in packs of two in the refrigerated section near the cookie dough and crescent rolls.
Can You Freeze Chicken Pot Pie?
Yes, this recipe freezes very well! You can choose to freeze it before baking and reheat or assemble in the pie plate and freeze prior to baking, then thaw and bake when you are ready to enjoy it. Freeze in an airtight container up to three months.
Can I Make Homemade Chicken Pot Pie with and Instant Pot/Slow Cooker/on the Stovetop
While I use my Instant Pot for this recipe, it’s easy to adjust if you don’t have one or prefer not to use it. You can make this recipe without an Instant Pot by either buying a rotisserie chicken from the store or cooking the chicken in a slow cooker and then shredding. Either way, you would then proceed on the stovetop over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
I hope you all enjoy this classic Chicken Pot Pie as much as we do at our house. For more comfort food you will love, check out these recipes:
- Cheesy Bacon Hash Brown Casserole
- Slow Cooker Ham, Bacon, and Potato Soup
- Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
If you’ve tried this recipe please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
This easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe can be made in about an hour with a few simple shortcuts that save you time!
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about two cloves)
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 premade refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg
- Remove pie crusts from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature while proceeding.
- Place chicken breast and chicken broth in the Instant Pot and close lid and vent. Set to Manual mode for 12 minutes. Allow to vent naturally after timer goes off, about ten minutes.
- Shred chicken with two forks and remove chicken and broth to a bowl, set aside. (No need to rinse Instant Pot)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fareignheit.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute Mode and add olive oil, garlic, onions, and spices. Cook until onions are translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Return chicken and broth to the Instant Pot and add veggies. Bring mixture to a boil and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix cornstarch with ¼ cup cool water until blended. Stir into chicken mixture and continue to boil until thickened.
- Stir in heavy cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lay one pie crust on the bottom of a deep dish pie dish. Pour chicken mixture into the dish. Lay second pie crust over top and use fingers or a fork to crimp edges. Cut four slits into the middle of the crust to vent.
- Mix an egg and 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl and brush egg wash over the pie crust. Bake for 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- You can make this recipe without an Instant Pot by either buying a rotisserie chicken from the store or cooking the chicken in a slow cooker and then shredding. Either way, you would then proceed on the stovetop over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
Keywords: Chicken, pot pie
Want more great recipes?
Join our community of over 20,000 everyday cooks and I'll send you an eCookbook with 13 of my favorite desserts as a welcome gift!