This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Szechuan Chicken is a sweet and spicy chicken stir fry dish that can be made in just 20 minutes! It’s perfect for serving over rice and noodles for a fast weeknight meal!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
Szechuan Chicken is an easy and flavorful classic Chinese dish. It combines the perfect amount of sweet and spicy. If you’re craving Chinese tonight, make this fast and easy recipe in just 20 minutes!
What is Szechuan Chicken?
Szechuan chicken is a sweet and spicy dish from the Chinese province of Sichuan. It traditionally incorporates the Szechuan peppercorn, however this recipe substitutes cayenne pepper as it is easier to find in most US grocery stores. Szechuan chicken can also contain vegetables and sometimes peanuts.
This recipe is a basic version of what you would find in your local Chinese restaurant. It is mild and not too spicy (so very family-friendly). I’ve included notes below on how to add more spice to the dish.
How to Make Szechuan Chicken at Home
This recipe is super easy, you’ll never go back to take out once you try it!
- Chicken breast cubes are tossed with cornstarch and then browned in a skillet.
- Garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and water are added and the chicken is simmered for just five minutes to finish cooking through-that’s it!
- Serve over slow cooker rice or with veggies to complete the meal!
Tips for best results
- Don’t skip the cornstarch step, it really makes this dish have its signature texture!
- If you prefer more sauce on the final dish you can easily double or triple the sauce ingredients in the recipe.
I have had good results making this dish substituting cubed tempeh for the chicken.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. This recipe reheats easily in the microwave, making it a great meal prep option!
Yes, this is a great freezer meal. Allow it to cool then store in a freezer-safe container or bag for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave.
- add in chopped bell peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, and/or carrots
- add chili peppers to make it spicier
- add peanuts, cashews, or sliced almonds
- substitute steak, shrimp, chicken thighs, or tempeh for the chicken
- serve over noodles, quinoa, or riced cauliflower
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print