It's easy to cook up a steakhouse steak at home with this simple recipe done in just 15 minutes with just three ingredients! Serve it alone or topped with easy peppercorn sauce or homemade garlic butter for a restaurant quality meal at home!
How to Cook a Steakhouse Steak
Like I mentioned yesterday in my Butcher Box review, we are BIG steak people at our house. We definitely eat steak at least once, maybe even twice, a week.
I love to grill steaks but sometimes when the weather isn't great or I'm just not feeling it I make my steak in the kitchen. My husband LOVES when I do because they come out tasting just like a steakhouse steak.
Today I thought I would share with you how to cook a steakhouse steak perfectly every time! (Did you know those restaurants cook steak in the oven?!)
VIDEO: How to Cook a Steakhouse Steak
This is so simple you'll wonder why you haven't tried it before. All you need it some high-quality steaks, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, and butter.
Step by step
First, you season then sear the steaks before popping them in the oven. The searing keeps the meat inside juicy and flavorful so you absolutely can't skip that step!
This Steakhouse Steak would be perfect alongside my Cheddar Chive Mashed Potatoes, Easy Roasted Vegetables, Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower, Southern Sweet Potato Casserole, or Southern Style Collard Greens!
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Cook a steakhouse steak at home with this easy and simple recipe! No need for a grill, this steak is made indoors.
- 2 high quality steaks, I use filet mignon or New York strip, about 8 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pats
- Remove steak from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature, about 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Heat a seasoned cast iron skillet to high heat.
- Combine salt and pepper on a plate.
- Meanwhile, pat steak dry with a paper towel. Brush all sides with olive oil and press steak into salt and pepper on all sides to coat.
- Once skillet is extremely hot, sear steaks on all sides until brown, about two minutes per side. Be sure to get all sides to lock in that juiciness!
- Remove steaks from skillet and either move to baking sheet or leave on cast iron. Top with pats of butter and place into preheated oven.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes depending on the thickness of the steak and your preferred level of doneness. Check steak temperature to determine when it is done. For rare steak cook until 120 degrees, 125 for medium-rare, and 135 for medium.
- Remove steaks from oven and allow to rest for five to ten minutes before serving.
The high heat from cast iron skillet may cause some smoking of the pan, be sure to use your fan and ventilate your kitchen during this step.
Keywords: steak, steakhouse, outback
Now that you know how to cook steak in the oven you have no excuses-get out there and make your own steak house steaks at home! Here are some side dishes that go perfectly with homemade steakhouse steak: