Homemade Pimento Cheese is a classic Southern dip recipe that is a staple in any recipe box. Whether you serve it on a sandwich, with crackers, or veggies, it's always a winner! This recipe is super easy to make and ready in just 10 minutes!
A while ago I was talking to my husband about how our families celebrated Thanksgivings when we were children. We were comparing different foods we had (he is from the midwest and I grew up in the southeast.)
I mentioned how my grandma always had this recipe with crackers as one of our appetizers. You can imagine my surprise when he had NO IDEA what Pimento Cheese was!
Y'all, I have failed my husband because apparently, I have been neglecting to share this with him all these years! I must have been too busy making him other Southern recipes like my homemade Biscuits and Gravy, Hoppin' John, Boiled Peanuts, Lowcountry Boil, and Shrimp and Grits! I immediately whipped up a batch and he, of course, loved it!
What is pimento cheese?
Pimento Cheese is a Southern cheddar cheese spread made of a few simple ingredients that combine perfectly! Click here to read Serious Eat's history of pimento cheese in the South.
This is the best recipe for pimento cheese I've ever tried. It is based on one that a reader (hi Patti!!!) left in the comments on this Chicken Salad Recipe I posted in 2016. I made a few changes based on what I had around the house the first time I tried it and it turned out beautifully!
What are pimentos?
Pimentos, also called cherry peppers, are a small pepper that is not spicy. They are often seen inside stuffed olives. You can find pimentos jarred in the canned vegetable section of your grocery store.
- cheddar cheese
- cream cheese
- sour cream
- salt & pepper
- hot sauce
Step by step
To make this easy recipe you'll simply shred your cheddar, then cream it together with the remaining ingredients. The entire recipe takes less than 10 minutes!
Tips & Tricks
- Use freshly shredded cheddar cheese if possible. Pre-shredded cheeses have a powdery coating to keep them from sticking that can affect the consistency.
- you can find jarred pimentos at the grocery store, usually near the olives.
- Keep this cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
I do not recommend freezing this recipe as the oil in the mayonnaise and cheese separates and it gives a grainy texture after thawing.
Keep this spread in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Yes, regular or lowfat cream cheese work perfectly in the recipe.
Wondering what to serve with pimento cheese? The possibilities are endless! Try these ideas:
- spread on a sandwich
- use to make grilled cheese
- on crackers
- with chopped vegetables
- over grits
- in a quesadilla
- over fries
- on a burger
- on hot dogs
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Homemade Pimento Cheese is a classic Southern dip recipe that is a staple in any recipe box. Super easy to make and ready in just ten minutes!
- 16 oz Cheddar Cheese, sharp, grated
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4 oz can pimentos, with liquid
- 1 ½ cup sour cream
- ½teaspoon salt
- ½teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- In a mixer combine sour cream, mayonnaise, and pimentos with liquid until combined.
- Add hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Stir in cream cheese and grated cheese until just blended.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Use freshly shredded Cheddar if possible. Preshredded cheeses have a powdery coating to keep them from sticking that can affect the consistency of the Pimento Cheese.
- Pimentos are found jarred at the grocery store, usually near the olives.
- Keep this homemade pimento cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- Serving Size: ¼ cup
- Calories: 252
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 374.8 mg
- Fat: 22.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.7 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 52.9 mg
Keywords: homemade pimento cheese
Now that you know how to make pimento cheese, give it a try and be sure to let me know what you think, it serves up beautifully on butter crackers with a Bourbon Arnold Plamer cocktail when you're entertaining as well!
Want more great recipes?
Join our community of over 20,000 everyday cooks and I'll send you an eCookbook with 13 of my favorite desserts as a welcome gift!