This easy Cheesy Crock Pot Ham Bacon Potato Soup is the ultimate comfort food. (Also called Loaded Baked Potato Soup) Made in the Slow Cooker, this hearty soup can be prepped in just ten minutes for an easy meal on busy days.
Today I have for you absolute comfort food perfection: Crock Pot Ham and Potato Soup packed with bacon and cheese!
Yes, that's right: one soup chock full of all my favorite comfort foods, often called a Loaded Baked Potato Soup! And the great news is that it's a super easy dump it and forget it Crock Pot recipe and fail-proof to boot.
Why I love this recipe
I like to set this cheesy potato soup to cook in the morning and then serve in the afternoon/evening topped with some sour cream and maybe some chives for extra flavor and extra cheese, because you know, you can never have too much cheese!
I also like to make this potato bacon soup when my husband might have to work late or we're off schedule with the kid's sports because you can come home and eat it whenever and it doesn't get overcooked if you leave it in an extra hour or two when schedules are off.
So I can feed the kids at 5 and set it to low and it's every bit as good for him hours later if he has a late night.
- Russett Potatoes
- yellow onion
- ham cubes
- chicken broth
- sour cream
- sharp cheddar cheese
Step by step
This is an easy make-ahead meal.
- Cook and crumble the bacon and add to the slow cooker.
- Chop the potatoes and add them and the chopped veggies to the slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker to low for 7-8 hours or high for 4 hours or until potatoes are fork tender.
- When ready to serve, add the milk, sour cream, and cheese to the mixture. Stir until cheese is melted and the soup is uniform. Season with salt and pepper if desired (I don't think it needs it but everyone's taste is different!)
- Serve as is or top with additional sour cream, chopped green onions, cheese, or anything else you might like on a baked potato!
Because this cooks so long in the slow cooker I recommend russet potatoes, yellow golden, Yukon gold potatoes, or red potatoes as they stay more firm.
This is a great soup recipe to make ahead of time and reheat later.
You can most definitely freeze this soup, however the potatoes will be softer when it is reheated. I recommend allowing it to cool then pouring into a freezer bag. Squeeze out excess air and store in the freezer up to 3 months.
Reheat in the slow cooker, microwave, or on the stovetop.
You can substitute the milk for heavy cream but using cream cheese for this recipe will have an affect on the final taste. I have not personally used dairy free milk alternatives but I would guess an unflavored variety of soy, almond, or oat milk would be fine.
If you like this recipe, you'll also love these recipes:
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
This easy Cheesy Crock Pot Bacon, Ham and Potato Soup is the ultimate comfort food. Made in the Slow Cooker, it can be prepped in just ten minutes for an easy meal on busy days.
- 5 Russett Potatoes, cut into ½" cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced carrots (about 10 baby carrots cut)
- 1 lb thick cut bacon
- 1 lb ham cubes
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cut bacon into 1" pieces and cook in a large skillet over medium high heat until brown.
- Remove to paper towel lined plate to drain and cool.
- In a crockpot combine potatoes, onion, carrot, ham, bacon, broth and parsley.
- Stir well to mix.
- Cook on high 4 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- Turn off crockpot and stir in milk, sour cream and cheese.
- Stir until cheese is melted and serve immediately.
- This recipe is a great way to use leftover ham!
- If leaving it to serve over a few hours set onto the warm or low setting.
Keywords: ham and potato soup