I try to make potatoes as a side dish at least 2-3 times a week. Not only can you cook them a wide variety of ways, but they are also very inexpensive which helps me feed my three growing boys without breaking the bank!
In the past I’ve shared yummy recipes like Garlic Rosemary Smashed Potatoes, Slow Cooker Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes, and Cheddar Chive Cheesy Mashed Potatoes but today’s crispy roasted russet potatoes are probably my very favorite potato recipe!
How to Get Crispy Roasted Potatoes
The key to making your roast potatoes crispy on the outside is to roast them at a high temperature. The high temperature combined with the olive oil coating makes these potatoes perfectly crisp outside and soft and tender inside!
Do I Have to Use Russet Potatoes?
No! I make this with russet potatoes 99% of the time because they are the most inexpensive at my grocery store but this recipe will work with any type of potato.
Do I Need to Peel the Potatoes?
I don’t peel my potatoes before roasting them but if you prefer you can peel yours. The choice is up to you, either way they turn out delicious!
How Can I Tell When Roasted Potatoes are Done?
The potatoes will be done when a fork inserted goes in and out smoothly. Depending on the size of your potato pieces, they may take more or less time to cook. My cooking time is for average sized russet potatoes cut into about 24 pieces about ½ inch thick.
Can I Use Different Seasonings?
Yes! Once you get the hang of roasting potatoes it’s easy to switch up the flavor by altering the seasonings. I like to use Mrs. Dash as a salt-free alternative at times. I’ve also shared recipes for Lemon Roasted Potatoes and Balsamic Roasted Potatoes too!
If you try this recipe I’d love if you rated it and commented below, I love hearing from you!Print
Roasted Russet Potatoes are an easy, inexpensive side dish recipe that compliment a wide variety of meals.
- 4 large russet potatoes, cut into ½ inch thick pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Chop potatoes into quarters, then cut into ½ inch thick pieces.
- In a large bowl combine potatoes, oil, and spices. Stir to coat thoroughly.
- Spread potatoes in a single layer across the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip and roast an additional 15 minutes or until done.
- Experiment with the seasonings! Mrs. Dash is another great one to try!
Keywords: roasted potatoes, roasted russet potatoes