Japanese Salad Dressing is the highlight of any Hibachi or Japanese Steakhouse Meal, and now you can enjoy it at home. Carrots and Ginger combine to make this easy hibachi salad dressing ready in just 5 minutes! Serve with Clear Soup for a hibachi-style meal at home!
Japanese salad is my weakness. It is one of my favorite salads and I eat it a few times a week. And it's a super simple salad, just toss some iceberg lettuce with some shredded fresh carrots in a small bowl and top with this homemade dressing and you have the perfect side salad!
The first time I tried this carrot ginger salad dressing was at a Hibachi restaurant in college and have been in love with it ever since!
What is Japanese Carrot Ginger Salad Dressing?
This salad dressing is often served in Hibachi and Japanese steakhouse restaurants here in the United States. It is an Americanized version of authentic Japanese dressing which is not actually found in Japan. (See this sesame dressing recipe from Japantry for a more authentic Japanese recipe.)
This Japanese American dressing is packed with flavor, and you may already have all of the ingredients in your kitchen!
- Carrots - diced to add texture and sweetness to the dressing.
- Onion - yellow or white onion is preferred but you can also use a sweet onion
- Ginger root - the ginger gives the dressing its signature flavor, it is the perfect amount to be packed with taste but not hot on the tongue
- Sesame Oil - you can substitute any neutral oil such as canola or vegetable oil if you do not have sesame on hand
- Garlic - minced garlic adds even more flavor to the dressing
- Celery - this is optional, it is in the original recipe but I often omit it without affecting the taste much
- Rice Wine Vinegar - adds the perfect "bite" to the dressing
- Tomato Paste - just a touch for color and texture
- Soy Sauce - deepens the flavor perfectly
- Sugar - a touch of sweetness
- Lemon juice - to balance the sweetness with acidity
- Salt - just a pinch!
For more salad inspiration check out this homemade ranch dressing mix.
Step by step
We use a blender (affiliate link) to make this recipe, making it super easy and fast to prep!
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender (affiliate link) and pulse until mostly smooth, usually about 30-45 seconds (a little texture from the ginger is okay!)
- Taste test and adjust as needed with salt or sugar.
- Always shake the dressing before pouring to ensure the oil is mixed in properly. I keep mine in a glass jar in the fridge so I can easily shake it up before serving.
This delicious dressing is perfect served over iceberg lettuce alone or with shredded carrots, the tangy flavor is the star of the show. You can also use other types of firm, crunchy greens.
Serve this Japanese salad with sushi, fried rice, grilled seafood, soba noodles...the possibilities are endless!
Because we are blending the dressing you do not need to finely chop the vegetables, just roughly chop so that they can move freely in the blender (affiliate link).
Yes, make this dressing ahead of time and store in the fridge until ready to use.
You may store this dressing in an air-tight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
You can substitute the sesame oil with olive oil but it will alter the taste slightly. If possible use a more neutral oil like canola or vegetable oil if you do not have sesame oil.
Is your mouth watering yet?
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Japanese Salad Dressing is the highlight of any Hibachi or Japanese Steakhouse Meal, and now you can enjoy it at home! Carrots and Ginger combine to make this easy hibachi salad dressing ready in just 5 minutes!
- ¼ cup chopped carrots
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoon sesame oil (you can use olive oil but it will alter the final taste slightly)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced celery
- 3 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor (I use my Ninja) and pulse until smooth.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
- Serve over chopped iceberg lettuce and shredded carrots.
Keywords: Japanese salad dressing, ginger carrot salad dressing
This recipe was originally shared in January 2016 and updated with new information July 2020.