Easy Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie is a sweet and decadent dessert perfect for Thanksgiving or any time of year! This homemade version with fresh sweet potatoes is a tried and true recipe you'll turn to again and again!
My husband requested Sweet Potato Pie for Thanksgiving this year and I realized there was no recipe for it on the website yet so we had to fix that!
Sweet Potato Pie vs. Pumpkin Pie
I still made a pumpkin pie for my boys as well but honestly, sweet potato is my favorite.
While they are very similar, Pumpkin Pie has a more custard-like consistency and is more dense and heavily spiced than Sweet Potato Pie. Sweet Potato Pie is lighter and sweet without the nutmeg and ginger.
- sweet potatoes
- evaporated milk
- vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon
- premade pie shells or homemade pie crust
When I was younger I would make this recipe with canned sweet potatoes (yams) but honestly, it doesn't take much effort to make them from scratch so why not? Read on for my go-to old fashioned Southern Sweet Potato Pie recipe!
This recipe makes two pies but you could also combine it into one deep dish pie instead. You can use premade crusts like I did or make your own homemade crust, just don't bake the crust first.
Step by step
- Boil the sweet potatoes for twenty minutes until they are nice and soft.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- While the sweet potatoes are boiling, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add in the eggs, evaporated milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon and mix well (photo 1 above).
- Drain and mash the sweet potatoes (photo 2), then add sweet potatoes to the filling mixture (photo 3) and mix (photo 4).
- Pour mixture evenly between two pie crusts.
- Place pies in the oven and reduce heat to 350F degrees. Bake for 50 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Tips for best results
- Allow the pie to cool completely before serving.
- This recipe can be made ahead of time and kept refrigerated up to three days until ready to serve.
More Thanksgiving recipes you might like:
- Candied Yams
- Corn Pudding
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sausage and Herb Stuffing
- Cheddar Chive Mashed Potatoes
- Maple Roasted Carrots
- Cranberry Relish
Sweet Potato Pie is a sweet and decadent dessert perfect for Thanksgiving or any time of year! This homemade version with fresh sweet potatoes is a tried and true recipe you'll turn to again and again!
- 4-5 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1" pieces
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 standard pie shells, unbaked
- Boil sweet potatoes in a large pot for twenty minutes or until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl mash sweet potatoes thoroughly. In another large bowl cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, evaporated milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- Add sweet potatoes and stir until mixed. Pour mixture evenly between two pie crusts.
- Place pies in oven and reduce heat to 350 degrees. Bake for 50 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Store covered in refrigerator up to 5 days.
Keywords: sweet potato pie
Want more great recipes?
Join our community of over 20,000 everyday cooks and I'll send you an eCookbook with 13 of my favorite desserts as a welcome gift!