Savory mashed sweet potatoes are a simple side dish the entire family will love and a welcome change from our regular cheddar mashed potatoes. Smooth, creamy sweet potatoes are blended with butter, sour cream, and spices to make this easy recipe a winner!
I'm a HUGE fan of sweet potatoes: roasted in the oven, in a sweet casserole, in the slow cooker, in a classic Thanksgiving casserole, even in taquitos! As delicious as all of those recipes are, today's savory mashed sweet potatoes might just be my favorite.
Why I love this recipe
- simple recipe ready in just 20 minutes
- only 3 ingredients and some spices are needed
- it is easy to play with the spices to make perfect for your own taste
- sweet potatoes are packed with nutrients and are touted as having health benefits
You will need fresh sweet potatoes, sour cream, and butter for the base of this recipe. Then customize with your favorite spices. My favorites combination is a combination of savory spices like nutmeg, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika along with a little salt and pepper of course!
Step by step
- Start by peeling and dicing the sweet potatoes and placing in a large pot. Cover with salted water and boil until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain then mash the sweet potatoes and then add the butter and sour cream. Stir until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in spices and season to taste with salt and pepper. Voila! Done!
- Add protein by switching out the sour cream for plain Greek yogurt
- Make it vegan by substituting dairy-free butter or ghee
- Add some spice with a dash of chili powder
- Sweeten it up with cinnamon and brown sugar instead of savory spices
Make up to 3 days in advance and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Follow reheating instructions below.
Reheat in a pot on the stovetop, adding additional sour cream and butter as needed to keep it creamy.
I normally don't peel my sweet potatoes because the skins are very nutritious but for this recipe it is best to peel them before boiling to ensure a nice, smooth end result.
To freeze scoop potatoes into a freezer bag, seal, and lay flat to freeze. (This ensure even defrosting.) Defrost overnight in the refrigerator, reheat as instructed above.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you try it, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Savory mashed sweet potatoes are a simple side dish the entire family will love. Smooth, creamy sweet potatoes are blended with butter, sour cream, and spices to make this easy recipe a winner!
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of nutmeg
- Place the diced sweet potatoes in a pot and cover with salted water. Place over medium heat and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drains and roughly pat dry with paper towels.
- Return sweet potatoes to the pot and mash with hand masher or immersion blender .
- Add butter and sour cream, garlic powder, onion. powder, nutmeg, and paprika and stir to combine.
- Serve with a crack of black pepper, chopped parsley, or cilantro and butter.
- substitute sour cream with plain Greek yogurt for a protein boost
- butter can be switched out for ghee or vegan butter to make recipe dairy free
- experiment with spices: chili powder can add spice
- keep covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days, to reheat heat in a saucepan with additional butter and sour cream for best results.
Keywords: mashed sweet potatoes