Sweet cinnamon apple bundt cake with a hidden cream cheese filling and cinnamon sugar dusting, this is the perfect fall dessert recipe!
I have been in a baking mood lately. Maybe it’s because it’s a hundred gagillion degrees outside so I’ve been staying cool inside, or maybe it’s because I know the holiday baking season is coming up and I love trying new recipes to share here on the blog. Regardless, I whipped up this Apple Cinnamon Cake last week and it’s most definitely going to be one of my go-to recipes this fall.
Why I love this recipe
The cake reminds me of my Apple Cinnamon Bread recipe, my blog’s most popular recipe that has been pinned over a million times. It might just be even better though with the addition of a ooey-gooey cream cheese layer hidden inside and a sweet dusting of cinnamon sugar outside!
This is a fairly straightforward recipe, you probably have all the ingredients on hand already!
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- cream cheese
Step by step
You’ll start by chopping the apples finely. Then dust the greased bundt pan with a delicious cinnamon sugar coating that will give this delicious cake a sweet crisp outer coating after baking.
Next whip up the apple batter and cream cheese layer separately, then layer it in the prepped bundt pan. Bake it 70 minutes then let it cool another 15 before inverting out of the pan. It’s not the fastest cake recipe I’ve shared but I guarantee it’s worth the wait!
Be sure to choose a firm apple variety such as Granny Smith, Pink Lady, Honeycrisp, Gala or Fuji. Softer types of apples won’t stand up to the baking.
There is no need to peel the apples before chopping them.
Bundt Cake Tips
- Use a nonstick bundt cake pan if you have one
- Thoroughly grease the pan with nonstick spray or a baker’s spray. You can also grease and then flour the pan, being sure to dump out any excess flour before adding the batter.
- Release the cake 15 minutes after removing from the oven. A warm bundt cake will release easier than one left to cool in the pan.
Serve this cake for dessert or go ahead and have it for breakfast-I mean, it has fruit in it right!?
If you like apples you’ll also want to try these recipes:
- Apple Crisp Cheesecake
- Baked Apples
- Cinnamon Apple Cake with Crackle Glaze from Shaken Together
- Peanut Butter Apple Crisp
- Braided Apple Danish
If you’ve tried this recipe please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Sweet cinnamon apple cake with a hidden cream cheese filling and cinnamon sugar dusting, this is the perfect fall dessert recipe!
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large apples (your choice, pick your favorite!), cored and diced finely
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 325. Spray a 9 inch bundt pan with nonstick spray.
- Mix 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Pour into bundt to coat. Tap off excess. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, and 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine 1 cup sugar, ½ cup brown sugar, applesauce, vanilla, and 3 eggs. Mix on medium speed until just combined.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour mixture a little at a time until incorporated. Batter will be thick. Fold in apples.
- In another small bowl combine cream cheese, 1 egg, and 2 tablespoons sugar and mix until smooth.
- Pour half of apple batter into pan. Pour cream cheese in the middle trying not to touch the inner our outer rims (it may help to build up batter on the sides to create a “ditch” in the middle to pour cream cheese.)
- Top with remaining batter to cover.
- Bake 70 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before inverting to a cake plate or stand. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon sugar before serving if desired.
Keywords: cinnamon apple cake