Summer is the time for rum cocktails and Planter’s Punch is a must-try classic! Made with orange and pineapple juices, it doesn’t get much more tropical than this easy cocktail you can whip up in less than 5 minutes!
The origins of this delicious cocktail aren't exactly clear. I've read it was created to celebrate the opening of a rum distillery in Jamaica, and I've also heard it was invented at the Planter's Inn in my native Charleston, SC.
Regardless of where it was created, this Planter's Punch recipe is perfect for serving a crowd, and tastes wonderful as a mocktail as well!
Why I love this recipe
- it's perfect for a crowd
- it has the perfect balance of sweet and sour citrus
- the tropical juices will make you think you're on a beach vacation!
- orange juice
- fresh lemon juice
- pineapple juice
- light rum
- dark rum
- Angostura bitters
Step by step
This cocktail couldn't be easier! Simple combine all the ingredients in a pitcher or cocktail shaker, shake or stir, pour over plenty of ice cubes or crushed ice, and garnish!
- Add a splash of club soda or seltzer water
- Use all dark or light rum instead of both
- Omit the bitters for a sweeter drink
- Skip the rum altogether for a virgin mocktail
- Try other juices such as passionfruit
- Add a splash of fresh lime juice
- Substitute grenadine with ½ ounce pomegranate juice an ¼ ounce simple syrup
This drink is traditionally served in a tall glass, such as a highball glass but you can use a Collins glass as well.
There is no hard and fast rule for garnishing but it is popular to use orange slices and a maraschino cherry. You can also use a pineapple wedge or mint sprig depending on what you have on hand.
Have you tried this delicious spiked punch recipe? You might also like these cocktails:
- Orange Mojito
- Champagne Punch
- Watermelon Cucumber Mint Cocktail
- Ruby Red Raspberry Cocktail
- Sparkling Lemon Drop Cocktail
- Classic Mimosa (with 15+ variations)
Planters Punch is the perfect tropical fruit rum cocktail for entertaining. Tastes great as a mocktail too!
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 cup dark rum
- 1 cup light rum
- juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup grenadine
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
Combine all ingredients in a pitcher or punch bowl. Serve over ice. Garnish with orange and lime wedges and Maraschino cherry if desired.
Omit Rum for a refreshing alcohol-free mocktail.
- Serving Size: about 1 cup
- Calories: 138
- Sugar: 21.7 g
- Sodium: 7.1 mg
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.2 g
- Protein: 0.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: planters punch