This Sausage Tortellini is an easy, delicious meal the entire family will love. With just 5 ingredients and 30 minutes, you’ll have dinner ready in no time!
You know how you have those recipes that you’ve been making for so long that you hardly have to think about it? This is one of those recipes for me…it’s one that I never thought about sharing here until recently-I mean, it’s so easy, plus I figured most everyone had a version of it in their recipe box so why bother?
Then I posted a picture of it cooking on Instagram last week while it was cooking and was bombarded with messages asking for the recipe! Well, I aim to please so here’s the much requested Creamy Sausage Tortellini recipe!
- spicy ground sausage
- cream cheese
- chicken broth
- diced tomatoes
- cheese tortellini
Step by step
This recipe couldn’t be easier!
- Brown sausage in a large skillet. Add broth to deglaze the pan, scraping to get all the flavorful bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add tomatoes and tortellini and stir well. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until tortellini is tender.
- Once the pasta is finished, add cream cheese over the top of the mixture and stir to blend.
How to adapt for the slow cooker
To make this tortellini in the Crock Pot, brown the meat in a large skillet and deglaze the pan with the broth as in the regular recipe. Transfer the meat and broth to a slow cooker and add the tomatoes. I recommend cooking it without pasta or cream cheese on low for 4-6 hours, stirring well. Mix the pasta into the crockpot for the last 20 minutes of cook time. Add the cream cheese and stir until melted just before serving.
Tips for best results
- If using frozen tortellini extend cook time by ten minutes.
- Test pasta often for doneness, different brands of tortellini have different cook times. Overcooked tortellini will get mushy.
- Experiment with the flavors by choosing different seasoned sausage and tomato blends.
You might also like these easy 30 minute or less dinners:
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
This easy Creamy Tortellini with Sausage is an easy, delicious meal the entire family will love. With just 5 ingredients and a Slow Cooker, you’ll have dinner ready with just ten minutes of prep time!
- 16 oz spicy ground sausage
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 15 oz cans diced tomatoes seasoned with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 20 oz refrigerated cheese tortellini (I use Buitoni )
- 8 oz cream cheese
- Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Pour in chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze.
- Stir in tomatoes and tortellini, mix well.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Cut cream cheese into 1″ blocks and stir into pasta until melted and sauce is creamy.
- Serve immediately, garnished with Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley if desired.
- If using frozen tortellini add 10 minutes to cook time.
- Check pasta often to avoid overcooking as brands vary in cooking time.
Keywords: sausage tortellini