This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This Homemade Chocolate Frosting is the BEST frosting recipe out there! It is a chocolate buttercream icing that is easy to make in under 15 minutes and with it’s rich, buttery taste, it is always a hit!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
I’m a self-admitted chocoholic and I don’t apologize for it! From OREO Dirt Cake to Chocolate Fudge Pie to Chocolate Pecan Pie…give me all the chocolate! That’s why this easy chocolate frosting recipe is one of my very favorites.
Why I love this recipe
This recipe is quite simple!
You can make it easily in one bowl in less than 15 minutes with very basic ingredients. Once you try it you will never go back to store-bought frosting!
First, gather your ingredients, you probably already have them in your kitchen! (full printable recipe below)
- unsalted butter
- cocoa powder
- powdered sugar
Step by step
- Melt the butter and stir in cocoa.
- Add sugar, milk and vanilla and mix until light and fluffy.
- Thin if needed with additional milk.
See, I told you it was super easy!
Tips for best results
- For the best results, sift powdered sugar and cocoa powder before adding to break up any clumps. If you don’t have a sifter, do your best to break up clumps with a fork before adding to the bowl.
- Adjust the thickness of the frosting by adding more milk, one tablespoon at a time. Keep the frosting thick for piping and thin it out for frosting a cake to make it easily spreadable.
- If the frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar one tablespoon at a time.
Yes! This icing will keep in the refrigerator up to one week in an airtight container.
Yes, while I usually use unsalted butter when baking you can substitute salted butter if needed.
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print