This Chocolate Banana Coffee Smoothie is the perfect treat when you are trying to eat healthy but still have a sweet tooth! It's packed with protein and Vitamin C too so no guilt trip required!
Every now and then I come up with a recipe that combines all of my favorite things. Coffee and Chocolate? Yes please! This Coffee Smoothie is the perfect blend of flavor, thickness, and it's healthy to boot.
Like a lot of us this time of year I'm trying sooooooo hard to eat better. All this yummy British pub food has taken a bit of a toll on my waistline unfortunately! But sometimes a girl needs chocolate, am I right?
That's why this smoothie is so delicious, it combines two of my favorite things-coffee and chocolate-in a healthy, protein packed package that satisfies sweet cravings while keeping you on track!
- frozen banana
- chocolate protein powder
- vanilla yogurt
- vanilla extract
Step by step
Simply add all the ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
If your smoothie is too thick you can add more coffee or a little of your milk of choice. If it is too thin you can add ice or more frozen banana and blend again.
What makes this such a great healthy breakfast?
I'm not a big breakfast person so this coffee yogurt smoothie is the perfect way to start my day without a heavy meal.
- It's packed with protein to fuel your morning
- It's gluten free (as long as your protein powder is)
- It has chocolate and coffee of course
- It only takes a few moments to prep
It's also a great smoothie to rotate with my healthy Banana Pudding Smoothie too!
Is Coffee Healthy?
Plain black coffee is actually very healthy in moderation, so don't worry about adding it to this smoothie. Coffee is:
- Low in calories, only 1 calorie per 8 ounce cup
- it is rich in antioxidants
- it helps fight headaches (I always drink coffee at the start of a headache!)
Coffee has also been shown to reduce the risk of many diseases, including type 2 diabetes, liver disease, colorectal cancer, Alzheimer's and skin cancer, too.CNN.com
"Coffee is loaded with antioxidants," said Joe DeRupo, a spokesman for the National Coffee Association. "Many are naturally occurring antioxidants found in the coffee bean, while others are created during the roasting process. It's these compounds that science links with positive effects in reducing the risk of several diseases."wcpo.com
- Use vanilla protein powder instead of chocolate
- Add powdered peanut butter like PB2
- Add ½ cup uncooked rolled oats
- Substitute your favorite milk for the yogurt and add more frozen banana
- Add a tablespoon of unbrewed coffee ground in this smoothie. Doing so adds an additional caffeine boost and gives the smoothie a bit of texture. (Make sure you use coffee that has not yet been brewed!)
Yum, right?? This is a great way to use bananas up that are getting past ripeness-I peel and chop them up and keep them in a container in the freezer to quickly use in my smoothies.
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
This healthy Chocolate Coffee Protein Smoothie tastes delicious but is actually good for you! My new favorite healthy treat!
- 2 chopped frozen bananas
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- ½ cup lowfat vanilla yogurt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Add milk or water to thin if desired.
Keywords: coffee, chocolate, protein, smoothie
This recipe was originally published in January 2017 and updated July 2020.
Want more great recipes?
Join our community of over 20,000 everyday cooks and I'll send you an eCookbook with 13 of my favorite desserts as a welcome gift!