These delicious chocolate coconut bars are easy whip up and ready in just 35 minutes. Once you try these gooey, chocolate-y, cookie bars you'll find yourself making these 6 ingredients bars again and again!
Looking for an extra special treat as the holidays approach? I have you covered! These amazing Coconut Chocolate Bars are sure to be your new favorite dessert recipe.
Between the buttery graham cracker crust, gooey chocolate chips, toasted coconut, and crunchy walnuts I'm willing to bet you might just be inspired to make these a few times before the year is over!
The cookie bars very closely resemble Magic Bars or Hello Dolly bars but the overwhelming sweetness is cut down a bit. They are great for gifting, just like my caramel pretzel bars, cranberry crumb bars, or peanut butter chocolate chip bars.
- graham crackers
- chopped walnuts
- unsweetened coconut flakes or shreds
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- sweetened condensed milk
Step by step
This recipe is very easy and nearly fail-proof, you don't even need to dirty a mixing bowl!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your baking dish with parchment paper or nonstick foil.
- Microwave butter for one minute or until melted. Pour butter in a 9 by 13-inch baking pan.
- Add graham cracker crumbs to pan and use a spatula to press crumbs firmly into the butter to form the bottom crust.
- Sprinkle nuts, ½ cup of the coconut shreds, and chocolate chips over graham crackers.
- Pour the condensed milk evenly over mixture and top with the remaining coconut.
- Bake the bars for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack and place in the refrigerator for one hour minutes to set. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Tips for bet results
- The finer the graham cracker crumbs, the more dense and firm the crust will be. Larger crumbs will make for a crumbly crust (no effect on taste) so I recommend using a food processor to crush the graham crackers.
- skip the walnuts
- substitute pecans for walnuts
- sprinkle the top with a little sea salt
- drizzle the top with melted chocolate, colored candy melts, or caramel
It takes about 7-8 graham crackers to make one cup of crumbs.
The sweetened condensed milk in this recipe can cause some sticking if the pan is prepared properly. I recommend lining it with parchment paper or aluminum foil before adding your bar layers.
Make sure you allow the bars to cool completely before cutting. The sweetened condensed milk needs to solidify as it cools.
Yes, you can make this recipe into bars or squares.
You can keep these bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or store in the refrigerator up to 7 days.
Yes! You can freeze them up to 3 months. After the bars cool completely put them in a freezer-safe container, separated by sheets of wax or parchment paper to help prevent them from sticking.
You can also freeze them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and then transfer to a freezer bag.
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Chocolate Coconut Bars
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 15 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
These delicious chocolate coconut squares are easy and fast to whip up and leave your sweet tooth totally satisfied with toasted coconut, chocolate chips, and chopped walnuts on top of graham cracker crust!
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 8 full graham crackers1 sleeve, crushed)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut (divided)
- 1.5 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 by 13 inch baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Microwave butter for one minute or until melted.
- Pour butter in the baking pan.
- Add graham cracker crumbs to pan and use spatula to press crumbs into the butter.
- Sprinkle nuts, ½ cup coconut, and chocolate chips over graham crackers.
- Pour condensed milk evenly over mixture and top with remaining coconut.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely on wire rack and place in refrigerator for one hour minutes to set.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
Keywords: chocolate coconut bars
Could you please tell me how many cups of graham cracker crumbs it is? I like to buy the box of crumbs. Thank you in advance for your response.
it should be about 1 cup Tammy!
Did a karate test not too long ago and it will KILL YOU!!!! It was so hard I wish I had these to look forward to when I was done! They look delicious 🙂
These sounds really dangerous to me. I could eat them all in one sitting.
Kristen @ Down Home Inspiration says
These look so yummy! Wish that I had been able thong around after the race and taste test for you!
Kristen @ Down Home Inspiration says
That should be *to hang* not thong!!!