This post has been sponsored by Mars Wrigley Confectionery. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Recently, my husband hit a huge milestone; he hit a whopping 20 years of service in the Army! It’s hard to believe he’s been serving so long and while our schedules didn’t allow for a huge party or any big celebration, I was able to whip him up one of his favorite treats: a sweet and salty snack mix inspired by these M&M’S® Peanut Red, White, & Blue Candies I picked up on a recent trip to Dollar General.
At our house, we’re a HUGE fan of sweet and salty snacks. I mean, life needs balance—right? I knew the M&M’S® Peanut Red, White, & Blue Candies would be perfection mixed up with some candy coated salty treats. Plus, they’re patriotic to boot.
This snack mix couldn’t be easier to make. Best of all, you can find everything you need for it at Dollar General®. I love shopping there for great deals and the convenience of having everything in one place!
Save now on M&M’S® Chocolate Candies and SKITTLES® Candy Red, White, and Blue packs at Dollar General® stores using this coupon: $1 off 2 M&M’S Chocolate Candies Red, White, and Blue Sharing Size or SKITTLES® America Mix Candy Medium Bag. You can download the digital coupon starting SAT 6/15 and redeem it by SUN 7/14.
Back to the snack mix! You don’t even have to turn on the oven! You simply melt your butter, corn syrup, vanilla, and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Once it’s boiling, remove it from heat for a moment. Then, pour over your salty treats. (Don’t add the M&M’S® Peanut Red, White, & Blue Candies yet!)
The sugar mixture will start to harden as it cools, so take advantage of the free arm workout and mix, mix, mix quickly until everything is coated.
Then, simply spread the mixture onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and let it cool. After the mix is cool, break it apart if you need to and add the finishing touch: the M&M’S® Peanut Red, White, & Blue Candies! They add the perfect salty and sweet finishing touch to this scrumptious snack mix!
Once it’s finished, you simply have to sit back, relax, and watch it disappear in a flash! I’m telling you, it’s one of my family’s absolute favorite treats!Print
This sweet and salty snack mix is the perfect addition to any gathering.
- 6 cups rice cereal
- 6 cups mini pretzels
- 2 cups salted cashew halves & pieces
- 2 cups roasted & salted almonds
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- salt to taste
- (2) 10.7 ounce packages M&M’S® Peanut Red, White, and Blue Candies
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine rice cereal, pretzels, cashews, and almonds. Mix well and set aside.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and vanilla in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- Allow mixture to boil for one minute then remove from heat for one additional minute.
- Pour butter mixture over snack mix and stir to coat thoroughly.
- Spread snack mix in a single layer on the baking sheets and allow to cool completely.
- Break mix apart as necessary and toss with M&M’S® Peanut Red, White, and Blue Candies.
- Store in an airtight container up to three days.
Keywords: sweet, salty, snack mix
Save now on M&M’S® Chocolate Candies and SKITTLES® Candy Red, White, and Blue packs at Dollar General® stores using this coupon. $1 off 2 M&M’S Red, White, and Blue Sharing Size or SKITTLES® America Mix Candy Medium Bag.
In addition to its 2019 donation of $250,000 to the USO, for every Red, White & Blue packs of M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, DOVE®, SKITTLES®, JUICY FRUIT®, HUBBA BUBBA® & LIFE SAVERS® brands (including variety pack & ice cream) purchased between 5/1/19 and 8/31/19 at participating US stores, Mars Wrigley Confectionery US, LLC will donate $1 to the USO, up to a maximum of $50,000. Your purchase is not tax deductible. For more information about the USO, visit www.uso.org.