This Instant Pot Lemon Butter Chicken is cooked quickly in just 30 minutes thanks to the Instant Pot! Juicy chicken breast is covered in a decadent lemon butter sauce that tastes perfect over pasta, with rice, or simply on its own!
When I first bought an Instant Pot I was very intimidated by it, I actually let it sit almost a whole year before I actually tried it out. Once I got started though, it was a game-changer! I started with beginner-friendly recipes like my Instant Pot Beef Stew (my top recommended first-time Instant Pot recipe) and continued to experiment with recipes like today's chicken and lemon butter sauce.
(If you're new to the Instant Pot, check out my Instant Pot 101 post here!
- chicken breast
- salt and pepper
- lemon juice
Step by step
First, please forgive my inside-the-Instant-Pot photography, obviously I have a learning curve going on there! I thought it would be helpful for others who might not use their Instant Pots a lot because I found them a little intimidating at first as well.
This Instant Pot Chicken recipe starts with using it on the Saute setting to caramelize the onion and get a really good flavor to the butter base.
After that, add the chicken and sear it on both sides to make sure it stays nice and juicy and gets all that good flavor in it.
Once the chicken is seared, we switch over to the pressure cooking portion which has the chicken done in just 8 minutes if thawed, 15 minutes if you are starting from frozen. (I prefer to start from thawed but we all have those days we forget to take the meat out of the freezer, don't we?!)
After the meat is cooked you thicken up the sauce and serve it with your choice of starch.
My boys love this chicken and sauce over pasta, it's also great with mashed or scalloped potatoes, my favorite slow cooker rice, or mashed cauliflower or zoodles to stay lower carb. It's also great with a buttery slice of Texas toast on the side!
This Instant Pot chicken and lemon butter sauce
If you try this recipe please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Flavorful chicken in a buttery lemon sauce, perfect for serving over pasta, zoodles, rice or potatoes! Ready in just 30 minutes, this Instant Pot chicken recipe is a weeknight staple.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ red onion, diced
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- juice of two lemons
- ¾ cup beef broth or beef bone broth
- 3-4 chicken breasts (about 2 lbs)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute mode and add butter, onion, garlic, and spices. Allow butter to melt and cook until onions are translucent and tender.
- Add chicken breasts and sear on 4 minutes each side or until outside is golden brown.
- Pour broth and lemon juice over chicken and shut Instant Pot lid. Turn to Pressure cooking mode for chicken. Set to 15 minutes if chicken was frozen, or 8 minutes if chicken was thawed. When finished cooking allow steam to release naturally, this should only take about 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken to plate. Return Instant Pot to Saute mode.
- In a small bowl mix cornstarch with about ¼ cup water and slowly add to liquid while stirring with a wire whisk. Bring to a boil then turn off heat and allow to thicken.
- Serve over pasta, zoodles, rice, or potatoes as desired.
Each serving is 3 Weight Watchers Freestyle Smart Points.
- Serving Size: 8 oz chicken breast
- Calories: 375
- Sugar: 2.5 g
- Sodium: 779.7 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.8 g
- Protein: 52.2 g
- Cholesterol: 180.7 mg
Keywords: instant pot lemon chicken
I hope you enjoy this easy weeknight dinner recipe, I know at my house any time I can get dinner on the table in 30 minutes or less is a success!
You might also like these recipes: