Savory mashed sweet potatoes are a simple side dish the entire family will love. Smooth, creamy sweet potatoes are blended with butter, sour cream, and spices to make this easy recipe a winner!
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of nutmeg
- Place the diced sweet potatoes in a pot and cover with salted water. Place over medium heat and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drains and roughly pat dry with paper towels.
- Return sweet potatoes to the pot and mash with hand masher or immersion blender .
- Add butter and sour cream, garlic powder, onion. powder, nutmeg, and paprika and stir to combine.
- Serve with a crack of black pepper, chopped parsley, or cilantro and butter.
- substitute sour cream with plain Greek yogurt for a protein boost
- butter can be switched out for ghee or vegan butter to make recipe dairy free
- experiment with spices: chili powder can add spice
- keep covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days, to reheat heat in a saucepan with additional butter and sour cream for best results.
Keywords: mashed sweet potatoes