This easy Homemade Meatball recipe is a staple for any kitchen. Whether you are including them in a recipe or just as a snack, this 30 minute recipe will be a hit in any home!
With three boys in our house, I'm always looking for ways to keep them well-fed (those kids can EAT!) I used to buy bags of frozen meatballs for them but once I learned this homemade meatball recipe, I've never gone back!
(If you like this recipe, try my Cheese Stuffed Meatballs or Cheesy Stuffed Meatloaf recipes!)
The Best Homemade Meatball Recipe
I'm not tooting my own horn, they are really that good! They are super easy to make, can be used in a ton of different meals, and can be frozen to use later. They have the perfect balance of seasonings and taste great alone or in recipes!
What you'll need
- ground beef (I use ground round) or ½ ground beef ½ ground pork
- Parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley
- spices: Italian seasoning, salt, pepper
How to Make Meatballs
This recipe takes only minutes to prep: simply add all of the ingredients in a big bowl and combine them using (clean) hands. Then roll into 1 ½ inch balls and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through!
- if mixture seems dry, add a tablespoon or two of milk to moisten before rolling into balls
- don't forget to flip halfway through baking to avoid overcooking the bottom
- if you don't have fresh onion or garlic, you can substitute ½ teaspoon each onion powder and/or garlic powder
- use a cookie scoop to ensure consistent size if desired
- with spaghetti and marinara
- Swedish meatballs
- apple jelly meatball recipe
- on their own as an appetizer or main dish with a side of mashed potatoes and roasted veggies!
- in this Slow Cooker Ravioli and Meatballs recipe
Wondering why your meatballs are tough? Keep these tips in mind:
Do not use lean meat for this recipe, you will end up with dry, tough meatballs
Do not overmix the ingredients, combine until just blended.
Bake in a preheated oven, if the oven isn't to the proper temperature it can result in underdone and tough results.
You can also use ½ ground beef and ½ ground pork for a juicier meatball.
Yes! Make up to 3 days in advance and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
This is a great recipe for making in double or triple batches and freezing for future use. Simple store in a freezer-safe container after baking and cooling. Meatballs should last up to 6 months in the freezer. To use, simply thaw overnight in the refrigerator or if adding to a slow cooker recipe, simply add them in frozen and cook at least 3 hours.
You can reheat these in the oven, microwave, or in a skillet.
Oven: Place the meatballs on a baking sheet and cook at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until heated through.
Microwave: Microwave for three to four minutes or until heated.
Skillet: Spray cooking oil on the pan and add meatballs. Heat over medium heat turning often until heated through.
The breadcrumbs help the meatball keep its shape. If you don't have any on hand you can use use crushed crackers or make your own breadcrumbs by toasting a few slices of bread then pulsing in a food processor to crumble.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you try it please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Easy Homemade Meatballs
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 20 1x
- Category: meat
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
This easy Homemade Meatball recipe is a staple for any kitchen. From Swedish meatballs, grape jelly meatballs, spaghetti and meatballs, or just as a snack, these meatballs will be a hit in any home!
- 1 pound 80% ground round
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
- combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix with your hands until combined.
- Roll into 1 ½ inch balls and place on the baking sheet 1 inch apart.
- Bake 10 minutes, then turn over. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until no long pink in the middle.
- Can be served alone or in marinara sauce over pasta.
Keywords: homemade meatballs
this is now my go-to recipe!!