This easy, cheesy hashbrown casserole is quick to prepare and tastes good for breakfast and its hearty enough for dinner!
When I met my husband I quickly realized I was dealing with a quintessential “Meat and Potatoes” kind of guy. One of my favorite breakfasts to make for my husband and three boys who are following his eating habits is this Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole.
Why I love this recipe
- fast prep time (only 10 minutes if your bacon is already cooked)
- can be made for breakfast or dinner
- perfect for holiday brunch like Christmas morning but easy enough for everyday meals
- it reheats in the microwave easily
- easy to customize to your taste
- shredded frozen hash browns
- shredded cheddar cheese
- evaporated milk or heavy cream
- Lowry’s seasoning salt
Step by step
Breakfast casseroles couldn’t be more simple to make!
- Cook bacon in a large skillet. Drain, then chop or crumble.
- Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Layer potatoes, cheese, and bacon in a casserole dish.
- Stir together egg, milk, and seasoning in a small bowl.
- Pour milk mixture over the casserole and bake to perfection!
- substitute cooked and crumbles sausage, ha of your favorite protein for the bacon
- add in cilantro, chorizo, and a can of diced chilies for a Tex-Mex flavor variation
- add chopped mushrooms or bell peppers
- switch out the Lawry’s for your favorite spice blend
- top with sour cream and chopped green onion for serving
There is no need to thaw the hashbrowns before making this Hashbrown Casserole recipe. Simply add frozen hashbrowns to the baking dish and bake as directed below.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Yes, this recipe freezes well so you can save leftovers or make it ahead of time. Simply store in a freezer-safe container for up to two months.
You can assemble the casserole and cover tightly up to one day before baking. You will need to add 10-15 minutes to the bake time if baking from refrigerated. You can also make it and bake it ahead of time and reheat in the microwave in single portions.
If you like this recipe, you’ll also love these recipes:
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
This easy, cheesy hash brown casserole is quick to prepare and tastes good for breakfast and its hearty enough for dinner!
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- ½ onion, chopped
- 12 oz bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 12 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 oz can evaporated milk or ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Lowry’s seasoning salt
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8″ square casserole dish.
- Layer one half each of potatoes, bacon, cheese, and chopped onion in prepared pan.
- Repeat layers.
- Combine egg, evaporated milk, and seasoning salt in bowl and mix until well blended.
- Pour mixture over casserole and cover with foil.
- Bake for one hour, remove foil and bake and additional 5 minutes.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- Can be frozen in freezer safe container up to two months. When ready to eat, thaw overnight and heat through in the microwave or oven.
Keywords: hash brown, casserole, bacon, cheese
This recipe was updated November 2018, originally published in 2013.