Chicken Marsala is easier than you think to make at home. This homemade Chicken Marsala is a one-pan meal ready in less than an hour, it's perfect for weeknights or a special occasion!
I recently bought a hot plate to use when making my recipe videos and I was trying to think of a recipe I could share here that would allow me to test it out. I wanted a recipe that was easy to make and only needed one skillet from start to finish.
I realized I had never shared my easy Chicken M
Why you'll love this recipe
I know a lot of you probably think Chicken Marsala is too "fancy" to make at home but I am here to tell you it's not!
This classic Italian-American dish is perfect for any occasion. As I mentioned, it's ready in under an hour and uses just one skillet so it's easy to clean up after dinner (I HATE recipes that leave my kitchen in a mess!)
The pan-fried cutlets are absolutely divine topped with a rich mushroom Marsala sauce.
- chicken breast tenderloins
- all-purpose flour
- salt & pepper
- unsalted butter
- extra virgin olive oil
- baby bella mushrooms
- minced garlic
- chicken broth
- marsala wine
- heavy cream
- chopped fresh thyme
Step by step
- Coat the chicken in flour, then sear on each side until a nice golden brown.
- Remove chicken from pan and cook mushrooms.
- Deglaze the pan with broth to get all that delicious flavor off the bottom!
- Add the marsala wine and cream and simmer until thick.
- Add chicken back to pan for 5 minutes, then serve over pasta, potatoes, or on its own.
Tips for success
- If using chicken breasts rather than tenderloins, fillet the breasts in half to reduce the thickness.
- After adding the chicken broth, really scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze it, all those brown bits dissolve into the sauce and add so much flavor!
You can substitute the mushrooms of your choice, cremini and white mushrooms also work in this recipe.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
The marsala gives this dish its signature flavor but if you need to make a substitute you can choose to use dry Madeira wine, dark sherry, ¾ cup of dry white wine mixed with 2 teaspoons of brandy, or ½ cup of port or red vermouth
Use dry marsala, not sweet.
This easy Chicken Marsala recipe is perfect to serve over pasta, with roasted potatoes, or with zucchini noodles. It's easy enough for a weeknight meal but special enough to make for a date night in as well.
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Chicken Marsala is easier than you think to make at home. With just one skillet you can easily have this delicious Italian meal on the table in under an hour!
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast tenderloins
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pint baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ¾ cup dry marsala wine
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- chopped parsley for garnish if desired
- Place the flour and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large plastic bag. Add chicken and seal. Shake thoroughly to coat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Tap off excess flour from chicken and place in skillet.
- Cook 5 minutes per side or until golden brown and just cooked through. Remove to another plate.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of butter to skillet. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook additional one minute.
- Pour chicken broth into skillet and use a spoon or spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan and deglaze the pan.
- Add marsala, heavy cream, and additional 1 teaspoon of salt and stir to blend. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat slightly and simmer 15 minutes or until sauce is reduced by half. Return chicken to skillet and cook 4-5 minutes.
- Serve with parsley garnish if desired.
If you are using chicken breasts instead of tenderloins, cut each breast in half to reduce the thickness.
- Serving Size: 6 ounces
- Calories: 549
- Sugar: 2.9 g
- Sodium: 1413.2 mg
- Fat: 36.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.4 g
- Protein: 41.9 g
- Cholesterol: 198.4 mg
Keywords: chicken, marsala