These rich and creamy White Chicken Enchiladas are an easy shredded chicken enchiladas recipe, covered in a simple sour cream and green chile sauce. They are easy to whip together, making it a perfect weeknight meal!
Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas are one of our favorite weeknight Mexican foods to share. I prefer these Chicken Enchiladas to traditional enchilada recipes. (I also love this green enchilada casserole as another enchilada variation!)
Why I love this recipe
These are very kid (and grown-up) friendly and not too spicy, don't let the chiles scare you! The chicken mixture and cheese and covered in a creamy sour cream and green chile sauce.
The best thing about this chicken enchilada with
- flour tortillas
- chicken breasts
- chicken broth
- sour cream
- diced green chiles
- shredded Mexican Blend cheese
How to shred chicken
To prepare the chicken for this recipe I like to throw it in the
Once the time is up it can easily be shredded with a fork or by throwing into a stand mixer . You can also make this chicken enchilada recipe with
Step by step
This enchilada recipe couldn't be easier.
- Combine the shredded chicken with half of the cheese and then roll the mixture in flour tortillas.
- Place the rolled tortillas seam side down in a casserole dish.
- The sauce is made quickly on the stovetop with butter, flour, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil then remove from heat and stir in sour cream and green chiles.
- Pour the white sauce over the chicken enchiladas and top with the remaining cheese.
- Pop into a preheated oven for 25 minutes, then broil for an additional 5 minutes to get the top nice and toasty brown!
I like to serve these chicken enchiladas with lots of topping options!
Sour cream, cilantro, limes, and avocado or guacamole are all great on top of the enchiladas. For sides I usually make up a batch of rice or serve alongside refried beans.
I personally prefer to make my white chicken enchiladas with flour tortillas.
If you are gluten free or wish to reduce calories, you can easily make these chicken enchiladas with white sauce with corn tortillas. You will need to warm the corn tortillas before rolling to ensure they do not rip. The texture will be a little different but they will still be delicious!
These enchiladas will store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
These chicken enchiladas freeze up beautifully for easy meal prep! I suggest freezing the uncooked enchiladas and sauce separately so it doesn't get soggy when cooked.
1. Line a casserole dish with parchment paper. Roll tortillas as usual but do not top with sauce.
2. Place casserole into the freezer until tortillas are completely frozen. Transfer rolled enchiladas to a freezer bag or container and freeze.
3. Cook the sauce as described and freeze in a separate container.
4. When ready to make the enchiladas, thaw the sauce overnight in the refrigerator. Add the frozen chicken enchiladas to a casserole dish and reheat in an oven at 350 F degrees for about twenty minutes. Pour the thawed sauce over the enchiladas, and bake an additional 30 minutes as instructed below in step 12-13.
You might also like these other Mexican recipes:
Still need help meal planning? Check out this huge list of dinner ideas!
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
These rich and creamy White Chicken Enchiladas are an easy shredded chicken enchiladas recipe, covered in a simple sour cream and green chile sauce. They are easier than you think, making them a perfect weeknight meal!
- 8 flour tortillas
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 small can diced green chiles
- 2 cups shredded Mexican Blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9 by 13 baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Mix together chicken and one half of cheese.
- Fill tortillas with chicken and cheese mixture and roll. Place in dish seam-down.
- In a small saucepan heat butter until melted.
- Add flour and whisk until blended.
- Cook one minute.
- Add broth and whisk again until smooth.
- Allow sauce to thicken and remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream and chiles.
- Pour mixture over the enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Broil an additional 5 minutes to brown the cheese.
Keywords: chicken enchilada, white chicken enchilada, creamy chicken enchilada
This post was originally published in 2013, it has been updated with better pictures and answers to reader questions as of April 2019.