This old fashioned blueberry coffee cake is a tender, moist coffee cake topped with a crunchy cinnamon streusel crumb topping that makes it a family favorite generation after generation.
Blueberries are my absolute favorite fruit. One day, in what my family lovingly refers to as "our forever home," I hope to have enough blueberry bushes planted to give us a good little crop but for now, I'll just have to be content with store-bought blueberries for making this amazing Blueberry Coffee Cake.
This recipe is one of those that you have to rewrite every so often because the paper gets worn out from making it so much. It's one that's been handed down for who knows how long-and for good reason - it always turns out so beautifully.
It's a go-to recipe for entertaining as well, I've yet to meet someone who doesn't adore it. (Even my ten-year-old who insists he doesn't like blueberries devours this blueberry coffee cake like it's his job!)
- vanilla extract
- baking powder
Step by step
- After greasing a baking dish and preheating the oven, cream together the butter and sugar, then add egg and vanilla and mix.
- In a second bowl, combine the dry ingredients and add half to the butter mixture. Stir to blend, then add the milk.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients and stir until just blended. Gently fold in the fresh blueberries.
- Spread the mixture in the pan and get ready to make that absolutely delicious crumble topping! You'll use a pastry cutter or two knifes to cut together butter, sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
- Spread the mixture over the cake batter, covering it thoroughly.
- Bake the Blueberry Coffee Cake uncovered for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Yes, you can substitute frozen blueberries in this Blueberry Coffee Cake recipe, however, I recommend fresh whenever possible for the best taste. If using frozen berries, do not thaw before adding to the batter.
This blueberry coffee cake recipe tastes best if made the same day. If necessary, store in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature.
Yes! This cake freezes well! To freeze allow the cake to completely cool. Then, wrap in plastic wrap or foil and place in a heavy-duty freezer bag or freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw, simply place on the counter overnight.
You might also like these similar recipes:
If you’ve tried this recipe please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
This old fashioned blueberry coffee cake is topped with a crunchy cinnamon streusel that makes it a family favorite generation after generation.
For the cake:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1 pint fresh blueberries (may substitute with 2 cups frozen blueberries but I prefer fresh)
For the Crumble Topping:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8 by 8 inch baking pan. (I use this spray.)
- In a mixer or large bowl combine ½ cup butter, ¾ cup granulated sugar and cream together on medium speed until uniform.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add half the dry mixture into the wet and stir well.
- Add the milk and then add the remaining flour mixture.
- Mix until just combined, do not overmix.
- Fold in blueberries and pour batter in prepared pan.
- For the topping combine butter, sugar, flour and cinnamon in a medium bowl and mix together thoroughly using hands or a pastry cutter.
- Sprinkle crumble topping over the cake batter to cover.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm or cooled.
- Best made the day of serving
- Can be made with frozen blueberries(do not thaw first), although fresh is preferred
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to three days
- Freeze up to 3 months by wrapping tightly in foil or plastic wrap and storing in a heavy duty freezer bag
Keywords: blueberry coffee cake