Blueberry Buttermilk Scones are an old-fashioned recipe perfect for tea time. These easy scones are not overly sweet and taste delicious topped with a lemon glaze!
I've always loved baking but these current days of staying home have given me plenty of time to try new recipes. These Blueberry Buttermilk Scones are delicious, adapted from a recipe I found on Savory With Soul. They are not overly sweet but the lemon glaze takes them absolutely over the top!
If you're in the mood for baking you might also like my 15 minute Homemade Biscuits, Cinnamon Apple Bread, or my very Best Banana Bread recipes!
What you'll Need
- baking powder
- powdered sugar
- heavy cream
- lemon juice
Step by step
This recipe is simple to make, no fancy equipment or techniques are necessary. It is baked in a cast iron pan (affiliate link).
Tip: I like to lightly oil my pan then put it in the oven to preheat for about ten minutes before adding the dough to give the bottom of the biscuits a nice crisp.
The butter and dry ingredients are mixed by hand until crumbly, then the buttermilk is added to form the dough. Nice fresh blueberries are then folded in and the dough is rolled out about ½ an inch thick on a floured surface.
I use the top of a glass to cut the biscuits out, no biscuit cutter needed! Then place them in the oiled preheated pan and bake for 30 minutes.
While the scones bake, mix up a lemon glaze with powdered sugar, heavy cream, vanilla, lemon juice and cinnamon.
The glaze really makes the biscuits, I promise you'll love it!
Tips for best results
- if you do not have buttermilk on hand you can make your own by adding one tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a glass measuring cup then add milk until it reaches the 1 cup line. Let sit for 5 minutes then use as directed.
- Use cold butter, not softened for the best result. Cut butter in with a pastry cutter or two knives. Alternatively you can freeze the butter then shred it with a box grater before adding to the dough.
- Don't overhandle the dough to keep it tender.
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Blueberry Buttermilk Scones
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Blueberry Buttermilk Scones are perfect for tea time. They are not overly sweet and taste delicious topped with a lemon glaze!
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil a cast iron skillet and place in the oven to preheat.
- In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Cut butter into slices and mix by handinto the dry mixture until crumbly and even.
- Pour in buttermilk and mix with a spoon.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface, add more flour if necessary to make the dough less sticky. Do not add more than necessary to avoid drying out the scones.
- Use a biscuit cutter or top of a glass to cut scones and place in the preheated skillet.
- Bake biscuits 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix powdered sugar, heavy cream, vanilla, lemon juice and cinnamon and whisk until smooth.
- Serve warm drizzled with glaze.
Keywords: blueberry biscuits, blueberry buttermilk biscuits
I really enjoyed these, they remind me of what my grandma made!