This homemade fresh Strawberry Cake recipe is light and fluffy, the perfect complement to the sweet strawberries. It is also a perfect recipe for using overripe strawberries that might otherwise be wasted.
It never fails in my house...if I have no fruit in the house my three boys will be constantly asking me for a banana or strawberries or grapes. I go to the store, stock up on fresh produce, and nobody wants it. It goes overripe and I end up testing recipes to make with it in order to avoid wasting!
This Strawberry Cake recipe is the result of that exact situation. My husband bought two pints of strawberries last week and one was starting to get soft so I figured I'd better use them up somehow before they went bad!
I based this recipe on my blueberry cake. It is a lightly textured cake that compliments the berries perfectly. I think I'm going to make it my mission to try variations of it with lots of different fruits as spring and summer wear on!
- baking powder
Step by step
- Butter your pan thoroughly.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add in egg, molasses, and milk.
- Mix dry ingredients separately and add into the wet a little at a time until blended.
- Pour the batter into your pan.
- Tap batter with the strawberries, tapping with the back of a spoon to help them settle into the batter.
- Sprinkle with sugar and bake!
Yes! I made this cake in a springform pan but you can make it in a regular cake pan easily. I recommend an 8 inch baking dish and you may need to adjust the cooking time longer so keep a close eye on it.
Store at room temperature in an airtight container up to three days. Storing in the refrigerator will help you get an extra day or two.
I don't recommend freezing this blueberry cake because the texture changes upon thawing.
You might also like these strawberry recipes:
If you make this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
This homemade Strawberry Cake recipe is light and fluffy, the perfect compliment to the sweet berries. It is also a perfect recipe for using overripe fruit that might otherwise be wasted.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, plus extra for pan
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cup flour
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously butter an 8-inch baking dish or springform pan .
- In a mixer combine butter and sugar and beat on medium speed 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, molasses, and milk and continue to mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to mixer a little at a time while mixing on low.
- Pour batter in prepared baking dish.
- Top batter with the strawberries, tapping lightly to set into batter.
- Sprinkle with tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325 and continue to bake an additional 60 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack, serve warm or cool.
Keywords: strawberry, cake