Easy delicious Apple Hand Pies are perfect for autumn entertaining, all the taste of a traditional apple pie in single serving size! This Apple Hand Pie Recipe is made even easier by using premade puff pastry dough!
Easy Apple Hand Pies
My youngest son is in first grade and his class is celebrating Johnny Appleseed’s birthday this week with apple-themed activities including a party where all the food will be apple food.
It was the perfect opportunity for me to test some apple recipes like these Apple Hand Pies. I love hand pies, all the delicious goodness of traditional apple pie that you can grab and go. It doesn’t get much better than that!
Apple Hand Pie Ingredients
This Apple Hand Pie recipe has just a few simple ingredients, making it easy to pull together quickly!
- all-purpose flour
- puff pastry
- brown sugar
- unsalted butter
- egg yolk
- coarse sugar
How to Make Apple Hand Pies
The apples are combined with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a saucepan and heated until they are tender and form a delicious sauce.
These hand pies are made super easy by using frozen puff pastry instead of pie crust. It gives them a light flaky texture that can’t be beat.
Apple Pie Puff Pastry
They are then sandwiched between layers of premade puff pastry and crimp the apple pie puff pastry at the edges. A quick egg wash and they are off to the oven!
Twenty minutes later you’re enjoying easy, delicious apple hand pies packed with cinnamon sugar apple goodness!
I love that these apple hand pies are grab-and-go! They would be perfect for tailgating or a late autumn BBQ, or maybe even a class party for a bunch of six-year-olds!
Are you in full-blown apple recipe mode yet? Check out the recipes below for more apple goodies!
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Easy delicious Apple Hand Pies are perfect for autumn entertaining, all the taste of a traditional apple pie in single serving size!
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 package puff pastry, thawed
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat egg and water in a small bowl, set aside.
- In a pan over medium high heat add butter, apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon to the pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until apples are tender and sauce has reduced. Remove from heat.
- On a floured surface, unfold one puff pastry and roll one baking sheet to create a 12 inch square. Using a three-inch circle cookie cutter, cut out 12 circles. Repeat with the extra roll, and set that set aside.
- Fill 12 circles with 1 tablespoon of apple mixture. Brush the edges with egg mixture. Top with another circle puff pastry. Pinch the edges together and crimp ends with a fork.
- Brush the top of the pastry pies with egg mixture, cut three small slits on top of the pies. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Place pies onto baking sheets. Bake 20 minutes, or until the pies are golden colored.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for ten minutes.
Keywords: apple hand pies
This recipe was originally shared September 2017 and updated with new photos and additional information September 2019.