These easy Slow Cooker Au Gratin Potatoes are drenched in a creamy cheese sauce and cooked to perfection in your Crock Pot! Simply prep this dish in 10 minutes and let your Slow Cooker do the rest. It’s an easy everyday side dish that is tasty enough for holiday meals as well!
Our family eats potatoes as a dinner side dish at least 2-3 times a week. Not only are potatoes an inexpensive option, but they can also be cooked in so many different kinds of ways so nobody gets bored! Some of our favorite potato recipes I’ve shared are Roasted Russet Potatoes, and Lemon Roasted Potatoes.
This Slow Cooker Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes recipe is the perfect example of comfort food if I’ve ever seen one! It’s easy to prep and made with gouda cheese for a rich, bold flavor.
Why I love this recipe
I love this Potatoes Au Gratin recipe because, like most slow cooker recipes, it is easy to prep ahead of time. It’s excellent for serving when entertaining as well. Simply set it up hours before your guests arrive and it will be perfectly cooked at dinner time.
It’s a hearty comfort food recipe that works well with a variety of meat entrees as well! What are you waiting for? Grab your Crock Pot and try it out!
- salt and pepper
- all-purpose flour
- Parmesan cheese
- Gouda cheese
Step by step
- Spray a slow cooker with nonstick spray or line with a slow cooker liner. (You’ll thank me for this at cleanup time!)
- Add thinly sliced potatoes, onion, and salt and pepper and stir to mix.
- In a small saucepan melt butter over medium-high heat and add flour, whisking constantly for about 1 minute.
- Slowly add the milk, continuing to whisk, then add cheeses and continue stirring until melted.
- Remove the cheese mixture from the heat and pour over potatoes.
- Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours and you’re done: easy, cheesy slow cooker scalloped potatoes that you’ll fall in love with!
Potatoes Au Gratin are traditionally thinly sliced potatoes that are covered in a cheese sauce, then covered with breadcrumbs and baked until brown.
Scalloped potatoes can be prepared with or without cheese and sometimes have breadcrumbs added which makes many people use the two terms interchangeably.
Red potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes are perfect for this slow cooker scalloped potato recipe because they hold their shape during cooking. Many recipes call for Russet potatoes but cooking website The Kitchn suggests that this variety falls apart after being cooked in a scalloped or au gratin recipes.
Here are a few other ways to serve potatoes that your family will enjoy:
Shop this Recipe:
- Mandolin Slicer Once you try this mandolin slicer you’ll never chop veggies with a knife again!
- Slow Cooker This is a large slow cooker perfect for families!
If you’ve tried this recipe please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
These easy Slow Cooker Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes are drenched in a creamy cheese sauce and cooked to perfection in your Crock Pot! Simply prep this dish in 10 minutes and let your Slow Cooker do the rest. It’s an easy everyday side dish that is tasty enough for holiday meals as well!
- 4 large potatoes, cut in thin slices
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- pinch each salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- Spray a slow cooker with nonstick spray. (You’ll thank me for this at cleanup time!)
- Add potatoes, onion, and salt and pepper and stir to mix.
- In a small saucepan melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add flour whisking constantly for about 1 minute.
- Slowly add milk, continuing to whisk.
- Add cheeses and continue stirring until melted.
- Remove from heat and pour over potatoes.
- Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours. Serve warm.
- red or Yukon potatoes are ideal for this recipe as they hold up to the long cook time
Keywords: scalloped potatoes