Instant Pot Leg of Lamb gives you the best of both worlds-fork tender lamb in half the time of traditional recipes. This Greek style recipe is flavored with oregano and lemon, and is the perfect main course to serve alongside Greek Roasted Potatoes.
You may have noticed here on the blog that I have a slight obsession with Greek food. Recently I was perusing a used bookstore and found a Greek recipe book from the 1950s written by a Ladies Society from the Greek Orthodox church in Charleston, SC.
This Greek Leg of Lamb with Potatoes was the first recipe I tried from it, but I adapted it for the Instant Pot to make it even faster!
This lamb turns out fork-tender and perfectly seasoned the Greek way-full of oregano, lemon, and garlic!
Leg of lamb is usually slow roasted over many hours, making it perfect for adapting for pressure cooking.
You don’t need a ton of ingredients for this recipe, everything is pretty basic.
- olive oil
- 4-5 lb boneless leg of lamb roast
- minced garlic
- 2 lemons
- white wine or chicken broth
Step by step
- The lamb is seared on all sides in Sauté mode to lock in the juices, then removed from the Instant Pot.
- White wine (or chicken broth) deglazes the pan and creates a lovely flavor to the pan juices.
- Potatoes are added to the bottom of the pan if desired, and the lamb is placed on top.
- Add the seasonings and cook under pressure for about 90 minutes.
The result is fork-tender lamb in about half the time as normal!
Yes, because we are using the pressure cooker, there is no adjustment to the recipe if your roast is leg in instead of boneless.
I highly recommend you sear the lamb before pressure cooking. Skipping this step will affect the juiciness of the finished lamb.
Roasted potatoes are my favorite side for lamb but root vegetables like carrots are also wonderful. You could also pair this with a Greek salad, or get creative with leftovers and serve them up gyro-style on pita bread with homemade tzatziki sauce!
Yes! Try this slow cooker leg of lamb recipe for an easy alternative.
If you try this recipe, please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print
Greek Leg of Lamb made in the Instant Pot gives you the best of both worlds-fork tender lamb in half the time of traditional recipes. Flavored with oregano and lemon, this is the perfect recipe for Easter, Sunday dinner, or any occasion!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4–5 lb boneless leg of lamb roast
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 4–5 large potatoes, cut into eighths
- Remove leg of lamb from netting if necessary. Add olive oil to the Instant Pot and set to Sauté mode.
- Season the lamb with salt and pepper and oregano. Sear the lamb on all sides, about 4 minutes per side.
- Remove lamb and turn off sauté mode. Add half of the wine or broth and deglaze the bottom of the pan, by scraping any brown bits into the liquid.
- Add potatoes to the Instant Pot.
- Place the lamb on top the potatoes and pour the remaining wine/broth and lemon juice over the top. Cover lamb with fresh oregano and garlic.
- Seal the Instant Pot and set to high pressure for 90 minutes. Allow to naturally release pressure after cooking, this usually takes about 25 minutes.
Keywords: Greek leg of Lamb, Instant Pot leg of lamb, pressure cook leg of lamb