Brown Sugar Grilled Pineapple is an easy, indulgent homemade grilled dessert recipe. The brown sugar marinade caramelizes on the grill and perfectly compliments the sweet pineapple flavor. This is sure to be your favorite summer dessert!
I have a massive sweet tooth, I can’t deny it. Lately, I have been working really hard to enjoy more fruit-based desserts than, oh let’s say…cake. Since we’re grilling dinner multiple times a week I like to try an incorporate grilled desserts too.
One of my favorite things to add to my grill, regardless of the main course, is this delicious caramelized brown sugar grilled pineapple. Grilling pineapple is beyond easy and the addition of the brown sugar “marinade” makes this dessert out of this world.
How to pick a pineapple
Pick a nice, ripe pineapple for this recipe. A ripe pineapple will have a yellow hue and smell delicious. If the pineapple is very green it is probably not ripe yet. Also look for nice green leaves. Yellowing leaves can mean the pineapple has been sitting on the shelf for a while.
How to cut a pineapple
I prefer to grill pineapple that has been cut into spears. While it may seem intimidating to cut a pineapple if you haven’t done it before, it’s really not that hard. Be sure to use a nice sharp knife to make it easy on you.
- Cut the top and bottom of the pineapple off so you have a flat surface to work with.
- Set the pineapple upright on your cutting board and use the knife to cut just inside of the tough outer layer running it straight down the pineapple.
- Rotate the pineapple and continue until all the skin is gone.
- Cut the pineapple flesh away from the core, again cutting top to bottom. Then slice each section into spears.
Step by step
The prep work is minimal and can be done ahead of time if you are entertaining. Simply cut a fresh pineapple into spears and marinate in the butter and sugar mixture (full recipe below.)
If you are making this for a party simply throw it in the fridge at this step until you’re ready to grill. Otherwise, place on the grill on medium-high to high heat for about 6 minutes per side or until caramelized.
The heat of the grill softens the fruit and brings out all of that delicious sweetness! Serve by itself or over vanilla ice cream, I guarantee you you’ll fall in love with this recipe once you try it!
Tips for best results
- Use pre-cut pineapple found in the produce section for a shortcut
- If you don’t have a grill broil in the oven. The cook time should be similar but watch it carefully to make sure it doesn’t get overdone.
- Oil the grill to prevent sticking or use a grill pan
- Store in the fridge up to 3 days. I do not recommend freezing grilled pineapple as the texture changes when it thaws and it gets watery.
You can serve this dish as a dessert (my favorite way!) or as a sweet side dish. It goes well with pork tenderloin or grilled chicken. If grilling the meat, make some grilled peppers to round out your meal without cooking in the kitchen!
For dessert top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and if you are feeling extra fancy, give it a drizzle of honey too!
- use maple syrup or honey instead of brown sugar
- add a bit of lemon or lime juice to the marinade
- garnish with mint or even cilantro!
- add a dash of chili powder or cayenne pepper for a sweet and spicy kick
- Add a shot of rum to the marinade
For more great summer desserts check out these blog posts:Print
Every meal at the grill deserves to be topped off by this easy grilled Pineapple Dessert! Sweet pineapple is coated with a butter brown sugar mixture and grilled to caramelized perfection!
- ½ stick (4 tablespoons) butter, melted
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ripe pineapple
- Cut pineapple into vertical spears and set in a bowl.
- Mix melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and pour over pineapple. Turn pineapple spears to coat on all sides.
- Grill pineapple on a clean, slightly oiled grill at medium to medium-high heat for 6 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately, alone or topped with vanilla ice cream.
Keywords: grilled pineapple