This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Stovetop cornbread is an easy 15 minute recipe with no oven needed. Make your own cornbread right on the stove with a heavy skillet and this easy recipe!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
For many of us, a delicious cornbread recipe evokes memories of childhood, family gatherings, and delicious meals. This homemade cornbread recipe is quick and requires minimal preparation, making it perfect for busy weeknights, or when you want a comforting, moist cornbread side dish that can be made in a jiffy. Read on to find out the easiest way to make stovetop cornbread.
Why I love this recipe
- it’s flavorful and comforting dish that everyone loves and is the perfect accompaniment to meals like Southern style green beans and collard greens!
- made with simple ingredients that are easy to find at any grocery store
- you can make this easy recipe in just 15 minutes
- yellow cornmeal
- baking soda
- vegetable oil
Step by step
- In a small bowl combine cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- In another separate bowl, whisk the egg, milk and 3 teaspoons oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Heat the remaining oil in a heavy 8-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Pour cornmeal mixture into the hot skillet and reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until the edges are firm and the center is almost firm. Remove from heat, replace cover and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Tips for best results
- Use a heavy skillet like a cast-iron skillet, a hot cast iron skillet will help ensure an even heat and crispy crust.
- Preheat the skillet to ensure the corn bread cooks evenly.
- Grease the skillet with melted butter or oil.
- If your skillet does not have a lid, cover with foil instead.
- Be sure to mix the ingredients just until combined – don’t overmix.
- Run a knife around the edges of the cornbread to ensure it comes out easily.
Store leftover cornbread in an airtight container or wrap in aluminum foil on the counter for 1 to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 4 days.
If you try this recipe please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print