This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Bourbon BBQ Sauce is sweet, smoky, and ready in just 20 minutes. Once you try making your own barbecue sauce you’ll never go back to bottled sauces again!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
I love making homemade barbecue sauces, they are so much tastier than store-bought and you can really adjust them to your individual tastes. This bourbon BB sauce recipe is a typical Kentucky BBQ sauce that has a much smokier flavor than other BBQ sauces I’ve shared like Carolina gold sauce or Alabama white sauce.
Why I love this recipe
- simple, pure ingredients with no preservatives like store-bought sauces
- easy to make in just about 20 minutes
- you can
While the list is on the longer side, all the ingredients are simple kitchen staples.
- bourbon – you can also use other whiskeys, substitute apple juice if you prefer to make this without alcohol
- apple cider vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce – adds depth, substitute with soy sauce if needed
- brown sugar – can substitute maple syrup or honey if needed
- liquid smoke – this is essential for that smoky flavor
- Dijon mustard
- spices: garlic powder, onion powder
Step by step
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and whisk to mix.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes over low heat, stirring often, or until the sauce thickens. The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.
This homemade barbecue sauce is wonderful for baked BBQ chicken breasts, chicken wings, pork ribs,
Store this smoky bourbon BBQ sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
If you try this recipe please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!Print