This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Whether you’re looking for a game day treat or an easy party appetizer ready in just 35 minutes, these creamy, spicy Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers are sure to be a hit!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
Growing jalapeños in my garden each summer is an absolute must, we are huge fans of spicy foods at our house! I’m always finding new ways to use jalapeños like our jalapeño deviled eggs, jalapeño corn dip, jalapeño cheddar bread, or jalapeño popper eggrolls! What I probably make the most though are these easy bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers.
While I’ve had the traditional breaded and fried jalapeño peppers in restaurants I much prefer this baked bacon-wrapped version better. It’s loaded with crispy bacon and creamy cheese that perfectly balances out the spicy peppers for a game day or party appetizer everyone will love!
Why I love this recipe
- they are the perfect party appetizer or game day snack
- you can prep the poppers up to 8 hours beforehand and pop in the oven before your guests arrive
You only need a few simple ingredients for this classic appetizer.
- fresh jalapenos – The key to making amazing jalapeño poppers is to pick good jalapeños of course! Choose larger jalapeños that are 3-4 inches long so there is plenty of room for all that delicious cheesy filling.
- cream cheese – brick-style cream cheese, softened
- green onion – fresh chives work well as an alternative
- bacon – I prefer thick-cut bacon in this recipe but thin-sliced bacon will give a crispier final result
Step by step
- Cut the jalapeños in half lengthwise and scrape out the inside. Removing the seeds and white membrane cuts down on the heat of the pepper and makes it less spicy.
- Next you will whip up the delicious cream cheese filling! Mix softened cream cheese with diced green onion in a food processor until blended.
- Fill each jalapeño half with the cream cheese mixture then wrap each jalapeño popper with a 3″ slice of bacon and place in a single layer and a wire rack over a cookie sheet. Then simply pop in the oven and bake to crispy perfection!
Tips & Tricks
- Use gloves when handling jalapeños.
- For a recipe variation, substitute one of the packages of cream cheese with half a cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese .
- Experiment with adding spices such as salt and black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder to change the flavor of the cheese mixture.
- For a crispier jalapeño popper, use regular bacon. For more smoky bacon flavor, use thick-cut bacon.
- Prep up to 8 hours before baking. Store in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap until you are ready to bake.
- Serve with the toothpick to make it easier for guests to eat the poppers
- Serve alone or along with a dipping sauce such as ranch or bleu cheese
- I like to serve these with other party appetizers like Charleston cheese dip, buffalo chicken dip, or homemade pimento cheese
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
Freeze unbaked jalapeño poppers on a plate or cookie sheet then transfer to a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Cook from frozen by extending the cooking time 10-15 minutes.
If you’ve tried this recipe please comment and rate it below, I love hearing from you!