This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Learning how to reheat crab legs is simple! All you need to know is the tricks to keep them from drying out. Whether you have leftover crab legs or you are reheating frozen or chilled crab legs, these easy methods will have you enjoying tender and juicy crab in no time!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
In this blog post, we’ll go over the best methods for reheating crab legs, so that you can enjoy them at their deliciously succulent best! No matter what kind of crab legs you have, snow crab legs, stone crab, blue crab, Dungeness crab, or king crab legs, you want to make sure you get the best results!
How to Reheat Crab Legs
When you have leftover crab legs, you want to enjoy them the same way you did when they were freshly cooked. The best way to reheat crab legs is any way that retains moisture or add more moisture to them.
The easiest way to do this is probably steaming or boiling, but there are other options as well. Try one of the step-by-step guides below to choose the best method for reheating crab legs that works for you.
How to Reheat Crab Legs in the Oven
My favorite way to reheat fresh or store-bought crab legs is in the oven with butter. It’s a great way to maintain the tender texture and add more flavor to the reheated crab at the same time.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Grease a baking dish or sheet with butter or olive oil.
- Place the crab legs in the dish or sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil or melted butter over the crab legs.
- Sprinkle with any desired seasoning.
- Place the casserole dish or sheet in the preheated oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove the dish or sheet from the oven and serve the crab legs hot. Squeeze lemon wedges over the crab legs for more flavor (optional).
Tip: When using the oven method to reheat crab legs, you can cover the dish in aluminum foil (optional) to help retain the moisture as they reheat.
How to Reheat Crab Legs in the Microwave
- Place the cold crab legs in a microwave-safe dish.
- Pour 2-3 tablespoons of water over the crab legs.
- Cover the dish with a damp paper towel and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the crab legs from the microwave and check the temperature before serving.
How to Reheat Crab Legs in the Steamer
- Preheat your stove top to low heat.
- Place a steamer insert into a pot and fill the pot with an inch of hot water.
- Place the crab legs onto the steamer basket, insert on the steamer pot and cover the pot with a lid.
- Steam the crab legs for 5-10 minutes or until they become hot to the touch.
- Serve hot.
If you don’t have a steaming pot or basket, just use a regular pot with a metal colander on top. Steaming is a simple process that you can’t really mess up. Just make sure you have enough water to boil long enough to heat the crab legs thoroughly and end up with hot, juicy crab meat.
How to Reheat Crab Legs on the Stove Top
- Fill a large pot of water, enough to cover the crab legs.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Submerge crab legs in boiling water.
- Heat for 5 minutes and remove.
How to Reheat Crab Legs on the Grill
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Wrap crab claws or individual legs in aluminum foil. Add butter, lemon juice, and your favorite seasoning (optional).
- Place the wrapped crab legs on the grill for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and unwrap.
- Add back to grill for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove and serve hot.
How to Reheat Crab Legs in the Instant Pot
- Place 1 cup of water in the Instant Pot.
- Place a steamer basket on top of the water.
- Place the crab legs in the basket.
- Secure the lid and set the valve to SEALING.
- Select the “Steam” or “Pressure Cook” setting and set the timer for 2 minutes.
- Once done, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Quick release the remaining pressure and open the lid carefully.
- Serve the reheated crab legs with your favorite dipping sauce.
Tip: The instant pot is also a great option for cooking frozen crab legs in a hurry!
Tips for Reheating Crab Legs
- An easy way to reheat crab legs is in the microwave. It’s possible for this method to be successful if you make sure to cover the crab legs with wet paper towels. Don’t skip this step because they will dry out quickly without any added moisture.
- If reheating a large number of crab legs, divide them evenly into two or more containers to make sure they are evenly heated.