Corned Beef and Cabbage is easy to make on the stovetop! With just six ingredients and a little patience, you can have this traditional Irish boiled corned beef with cabbage, potatoes, and carrots ready for St. Patrick’s Day or any day of the year!
- corned beef brisket (about 4 pounds) with spice packet
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3.5 pounds small potatoes, peeled (about 10–15 potatoes)
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and halved crosswise
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into wedges
- Place brisket, contents of seasoning packet, brown sugar, and bay leaves in a large stockpot. Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer covered for 2 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer covered just until beef and vegetables are tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- Add cabbage to the pot and return to a boil. (If pot is too full to add cabbage, remove potatoes and carrots and keep warm until serving.)
- Reduce heat and simmer covered until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove meat and allow to rest 15 minutes before slicing against the grain. Serve with potatoes, carrots and cabbage.
- If your corned beef does not have a seasoning packet, bundle pickling spices, bay leaves, and peppercorns in a cheese cloth and add to the pot in step 1.
- To adjust recipe for slow cooker, cook on low 3 hours, then add potatoes and carrots. Cook an additional 5-7 hours, adding cabbage two hours before serving.
- To make this recipe in the Instant Pot cooke corned beef as directed on high pressure for 85 minutes, then allow for natural release. Remove the beef (keep warm) and any solids from the cooking liquid and add potatoes, carrots, and cabbage wedges. Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes then quick release the pressure. Slice against the grain and serve meat with vegetables.
Keywords: corned beef and cabbage