Dutch Apple Pie is an easy Apple Crumble Pie recipe that you can make in under an hour. Filled with spiced apples and topped with a buttery streusel topping, it is a recipe you’ll find yourself making again and again!
- frozen prepared pie crust, thawed
For the Filling:
- 7–9 apples (7 cups worth after slicing)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Crumble Topping:
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- Place your oven rack on the lowest level and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel, core and very thinly slice your apples and place in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining filling ingredients and mix to coat the apples.
- Spoon the filling into the bottom crust.
- To make the topping mix together the brown sugar, flour, and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Use a pastry blender or two knives to cut the butter into the brown sugar mixture until coarse crumbs form.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the apple filling.
- Bake the pie until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, about 35 minutes. Check the pie after 20 minutes or so, if the pie begins to over-brown cover it loosely with foil.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool at least 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm.
- For easy cleanup, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the pie on the baking sheet while baking. The topping can sometimes bubble over and this makes for easy cleanup!
- It is important to peel the apples before slicing, the peel is not welcome in this recipe, it gets chewy when baked!
- Prep the apple filling before starting the topping. The time the filling sits lets the apples have time to start releasing their juices, which makes for a nice thick filling after baking.
- If the crust begins to over-brown during cooking, cover the edges with aluminum foil.
- Allow the pie to cool at least 15 minutes before slicing, the filling thickens as it cools.
Keywords: apple pie, apple crumble pie,