It’s easier than you think to make this beautiful homemade Apple Danish! A delightfully flaky crust is filled with caramelized apples and crumble topping makes this recipe a fall favorite!
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 puff pastry dough sheet, thawed
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 2 large apples, peeled and diced
Brown Sugar Crumble
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Combine butter, sugar, water, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until boiling.
- Boil 2 minutes while stirring often, then add diced apples.
- Simmer 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove the pan from heat and allow to cool.
- Mix dry crumble ingredients in a bowl (brown sugar, cinnamon and flour.) Cut in butter with two knives or a pastry cutter until thoroughly blended and crumbly.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lay puff pastry sheet on the baking sheet, use a knife to cut 1″ slices into the outer thirds of the dough.
- Spread cooled apple mixture along the middle third, then top with crumble.
- Fold over the outer edges to “braid” them bu criss-crossing them at a slight downward angle.
- Beat together egg and water and use a pastry brush to coat the top of the danish.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container up to 3 days.
- To make ahead up to two days, refrigerate assembled danish wrapped in plastic wrap. Bake extra 5 minutes from chilled or allow to come to room temperature before baking.
- , assemble the danish on a baking dish lined with parchment paper. Freeze on the dish for 3-4 hours or until frozen through. Remove to a freezer bag for storage in the freezer up to 3 months. To bake simply place on a baking dish frozen and extend baking time 15-20 minutes longer.
To freeze after baking, place in a freezer safe container and store up to one month. Reheat in the oven until heated through.
Keywords: apple danish, apple danish braid