Southern Squash Casserole is a classic summer dish perfect for using up all those squash from the garden. This classic casserole is a tasty side dish but is hearty enough to be the main course too!
- 2–3 pounds yellow squash
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, finely diced
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 sleeves Ritz crackers
- 1 stick butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice squash into 1/4 inch thick pieces and place in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine diced onion, soup, mayonnaise, egg, cheese, and salt and pepper. Mix to blend.
- Add mixture to squash and stir thoroughly to coat. Pour squash mixture into a 9 by 13 casserole dish.
- Crush Ritz crackers and place in a bowl.
- Pour melted butter over the crackers and stir to mix.
- Sprinkle crackers over the top of the squash to cover.
- Bake for 35 minutes, then cover with aluminum foil. Bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Keywords: Southern Squash Casserole