Pretzel bread is so easy to make at home! With just a few simple ingredients you can have buttery, salty, chewy homemade pretzel bread in less than two hours!
For the Dough:
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup butter (half a stick), melted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Baking Soda Bath:
- 1/2 cup baking soda
For the Pretzel Topping:
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- In a measuring cup, combine warm water and brown sugar and mix. Add yeast and set aside 5 minutes until nice and frothy.
- In a mixer combine melted butter and milk. Add yeast mixture and start mixing on low speed with a dough hook attachment.
- Mix flour and salt in a medium bowl and add to mixer bowl a little at a time until incorporated. Dough should be slightly tacky but not sticky. If dough is sticky add more flour a tablespoon at a time until it is no longer sticky.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick spray and place the ball of dough in the bowl. Wet a paper towel with warm water and ring out. Place over the dough and cover with a towel. Allow to rise one hour.
- After an hour preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add baking soda a tablespoon at a time until entire 1/2 cup is added. (It will foam as added so do not add all at once!)
- Divide the dough into two balls and add to the boiling baking soda wash. Boil for 3 minutes, turning often to ensure all sides are covered.
- Remove dough from pot and drain excess water. Place dough on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Immediately after removing from oven, brush with melted butter.
- To make this in a bread machine, add dough ingredients to the machine and run on dough cycle, then proceed to step 5.
Keywords: pretzel bread