Making homemade pie crust is easier than you think! With just three ingredients you can have from scratch pie crust in less than an hour!
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4-1/2 cup ice water
- Whisk the flour and salt together.
- Cut butter into small cubes or pats and add to flour mixture.
- Use a pastry cutter or two knives to cut butter into flour mixture until crumbly and well distributed. Pea-sized bits of butter will remain, this is okay!
- Add 1/4 cup of the ice water to the mixture and stir well. When dough comes together, begin working it with your hands. Add more water as necessary, a little at a time until the dough just holds together. Be careful not to add too much water at once.
- Form dough into a ball then flatten into a disk. Chill for 30 minutes before rolling out.
- This recipe makes one pie shell. Double if you're making a closed pie and need a crust for the top.
- It's a very easy recipe, I would just caution that being mindful of temperature helps here. Use cold butter, not softened. Use ice water, not lukewarm. And finally, chilling the dough for thirty minutes before rolling it our gives it a better texture.
Keywords: homemade pie crust