Making fresh homemade pico de gallo (Mexican tomato salsa or dip) is an easy way to add flavor to any Mexican meal. This 5 ingredient recipe can be made in ten minutes and adds a low calorie, healthy dose of flavor to your favorite foods.
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about two limes if using fresh)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (about 1 grocery store bunch), finely chopped
- 1.5 pounds ripe red tomatoes, chopped
- salt to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped onion, jalapeño pepper, and lime juice. Allow to sit five minutes.
- Add chopped tomato and cilantro and mix thoroughly.
- Allow to sit for 20 minutes before serving.
- Use ripe, red tomatoes to make your pico de gallo. I prefer Roma tomatoes but any meaty variety will work well.
- Chop the tomato, onion, jalapeño, and cilantro finely to maximize the flavor.
- To chop the jalapeño, first cut off the stem then cut in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the inside. Cut in 1/4 inch pieces lengthwise then dice. I recommend using a glove to handle the jalapeño pepper.
- For the best flavor allow the jalapeño pepper and red onion to marinate in the lime juice for five minutes before adding tomato and cilantro. I like to chop the onion and pepper first then let it soak while I chop the cilantro and tomatoes.
- Allow the pico to sit in the refrigerator for at least twenty minutes before serving. This allows the flavors to come together.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
Keywords: pico de gallo, salsa fresca, salsa cruda, fresh salsa